EthNoise!

The Music, Language, and Culture Workshop

10/6: Reports from the Field

| 0 comments

Please join us this Thursday October 6th from 4.30-6pm in Goodspeed 205. Four PhD students from ethnomusicology and music history/theory will be offering “reports from the field”, sharing their first-hand experiences of fieldwork and archival research with us. In their own words (and pictures):

• Hannah Rogers: “I’ll be talking about my first efforts to understand relationships between music and tourism in Cuba. One of my overarching and ever-present questions is: what is “tourist music”?”
  • Lester Hu“Over the summer I spent some great time in various archives in Beijing and Taipei. Yet the most memorable parts are not the discoveries I made there but the following two ethical questions about which I would love to hear your insights: (1) how to globally position a project that involves multi-site archival research, and (2) the ethics of gaining access to sites or materials nominally off-limits.”
  • Laura Turner: I’ll talk about my engagement with communities of old-time musicians and aficionados in Mt Airy, North Carolina and England. 
  • Maria Perevedentseva: My talk will focus on two trips taken to Berlin this summer in order to explore the workings of the city’s electronic music scene. Particular attention will be paid to the Tresor 25 Years festival, the Berlin Atonal festival, and a handful of other clubbing institutions.

ethnoise_collage