# 1: Coronavirus outbreak: Latest news and updates
A Coronovirus is like a crown. The new outbreak which was emerged in Wuhan in December 2019 is called as SARS-CoV-2 or 2019-nCoV(severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2). The disease it caused is called Covid-19 (Coronavirus disease-2019). RT-PCR is used for the detection of the virus but ELISA kit was developed to detect infected patients as well. Its genomic sequence has already been sequenced.
- The Figure above compares the sequence difference between 2019 nCoV and others (SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30251-8 which shows a vaccine against one may be effective for the others.
- Studies show that the following solution is highly effective to remove the virus in a minute :62–71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 min (J Hosp Infect (2020 Feb 6), 10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.022)
- One study shows remdesivir and chloroquine are two effective medicines.
- Not unique symptoms exist so traveling history is important to diagnose Covid-19
- coronovirusprimer_probe : a study comparing all commercial primer/rpobe sets to detect the virus.
The Figure above shows age and mortality rate of Covid-19, key biomarkers related to it, the interval from onset of symptoms to death, the cases of death (a recent case study)
- Background info
- Medical updates
- My selection
- Coronovirus for Chicagoans
- #1 fancy epidemiologic alive web site
- #2 fancy epidemiologic alive web site
- How to detect the virus,
- Paper for the detection of SARS-CoV-2
- Web site for the Corona epidemiology
A lecture about Covid-19