American Experience Project matches ambitious college students with successful professionals for a 30-minute video chat. Our mission is to increase diversity in leadership positions by meeting a need common among minorities: a need for information and guidance on the unwritten rules and expectations in different industries, and on how to succeed.
While the college students we are focused on serving are racial minorities, if you are a member of any underrepresented group in your career of interest (including but absolutely not limited to women, LGBTQ+, religious minorities, people with disabilities, first-generation college students, low-income backgrounds, etc.), we strongly encourage you to apply!
All professionals interested in sharing insight, advice, and expertise with college students and in fostering workplace diversity are encouraged to register, regardless of minority status! This is a low-commitment program, and there is no obligation to talk with a student for any longer than a half hour. Be as involved as you want to be.
Here’s how it works:
- Students and professionals fill out their respective forms.
- We make the match based on what both parties are looking to get out of the conversation.
- The chat is scheduled around the student and professional’s schedules.
- An AEP staff member calls the student to prepare them for the 30-minute chat. We’ll go over etiquette and networking skills, and help refine the questions and concerns that students want to discuss with the professional.
- The half-hour chat happens on Google Hangouts or Skype!
Are you a student looking for career advice? Apply here!
Are you a professional and looking to make a difference? Signing up takes 5 minutes!