Our Small Grants Cycle has ended. We will accept new proposals starting in September 2019.
The Office of Diversity & Inclusion’s Small Grants Program (SGP) offers BSD and UCMC staff, students, and trainees up to $2,000 in funding to engage in research and or programmatic interventions that have the potential to enhance and/or support diversity & inclusion within the BSD.
We prioritize applications for projects and initiatives that:
- Investigate diversity related topics, health disparities, or involve underrepresented or sexual minority populations.
- Support the scholarship of staff, students, and trainees from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Enhance diversity related programs and initiatives, including external speakers.
We fund BSD or UCMC staff, students, or trainees (trainees = graduate students, postdocs, or house staff). Applicants must not have received one of our Small Grants within the last 12 months.
The third Friday of each month from October – March:
- October 19
- November 16
- December 21
- January 18
- February 15
- March 15
Projects or research must be completed within 12 months of funding. Grant funds must be transferred to the appropriate department within 30 days of receiving the grant.
Past awardees have received funding for: Costs related to programs and projects, such as honoraria, conference hosting, and materials. Costs related to research, such as consulting services (e.g. transcription services, data analysis, computing services) and expenses related to presenting their research at academic or professional conferences.
What we do not fund: Tuition, faculty salaries, recuperation of clinical revenue, implementation of clinical guidelines, equipment or computers, clinical supplies, or activities that have occurred in the past.
If the proposed work requires IRB approval or exemption, provide documentation.
If you are unclear whether your proposal falls within the guidelines, please email the BSD’s Office of Diversity & Inclusion for clarification at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposal and Budget (2 page limit)
- What are you requesting funds for?
- Timeframe: when will the activity or research occur?
- What are your goals and objectives and how will you measure success?
- Expertise of applicant – describe how you have demonstrated success or have strong mentorship in this area.
- Relevance – how does the project or research align with the priorities of the grant?
- For conference presentations: include the link to the conference and confirmation of acceptance (candidates may apply if not yet accepted; funds are dispersed with proof of acceptance).
- For research submissions: Describe your hypothesis, specific aims and research approach. This must be written for a lay audience as those outside your field will review the application. Show precision, depth, readability, relatability, and why it is important.
*If you have previously sought funding for research in this area you may upload that grant application or proposal in the “supplemental materials” section of the online application.
- Other sources of financial support secured, if applicable (departmental support, grant support, start-up funding, etc.).
- For Research appointees and trainees: If the project is to support research in your laboratory, please describe your laboratory’s financial contribution and/or why additional funding is necessary.
With your application, include a brief statement about your background or past experiences and how these contribute to diversity in the Biological Sciences Division.
Letter of Support
- Students and Trainees: from a BSD Faculty member
- Research staff: from your PI
- BSD or UCMC staff: from your direct supervisor including a statement that there is no conflict with primary work duties.
- Up to two letters of support may be submitted. Letters may be uploaded through the online application or sent via email to: email@example.com