BSD Senior Leadership Academy
The Biological Sciences Division has established a Senior Leadership Academy for senior faculty leaders ready to commit to a 9-month course dedicated to advancing professional and personal skills required to lead and manage in today’s complex academic, research and health care environment. The goal of this program is to equip senior faculty leaders including chairs and section chiefs with the knowledge, tools and resources to lead within our departments and division over the coming years. Faculty will complete an institutional project as part of the course. Sessions are facilitated by both UChicago Booth School of Business instructors and Executive Leaders across the University. The cohort is limited to 20-25 senior faculty. View the 2020 BSD Senior Leadership Academy graduates here.
* Registration is now closed*
To apply for the 2021-2022 BSD Senior Leadership Academy, complete the form below and attach the required documents as noted.
- Application deadline: Friday, July 23, 2021
- Acceptance notification: Friday, July 30, 2021
- Developing authentic leadership
- Conflict management & performance management
- CFO forum: University, UCM, and BSD finances
- Faculty recruitment strategies
- Institutional climate and culture
- Change management
- Best practices for strategic planning
- Contracts, accountable care and new reimbursement models
- School of Medicine finances & balancing the tripartite mission
When & Where:
Sessions will take place once per month from 5:00 – 7:30 P.M. (including dinner, pending COVID guidelines) on the following dates from October 2021 through June 2022. Final project presentations will be scheduled in June.
- Thursday, October 21, 2021
- Wednesday, November 17, 2021
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021
- Wednesday, January 19, 2022
- Wednesday, February 16, 2022
- Wednesday, March 9, 2022
- Wednesday, April 20, 2022
- Wednesday, May 18, 2022
- Wednesday, June 15, 2022
Who is eligible to apply?
Candidates will be selected based on their application and must be able to commit to participate in at least 7 of the 9 monthly sessions.
- Current BSD faculty leaders including Chairs, Section Chiefs, Vice Chairs and senior departmental, educational, clinical, or research leaders.
- Emerging leaders at the rank of Associate or full Professor nominated by their department chair as being poised to take on a greater leadership role within the department or BSD.
- We welcome applications from a diverse group of senior faculty, in particular women and those from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Application form below
- CV or Biosketch
- For those who are not department chairs or section chiefs: a letter of nomination from your department chair or senior institutional leader such as a faculty dean.