Distinguished Educator and Leader Award
The objective of this award is to create a formal mechanism for recognizing the highly talented members of our faculty for excellence in teaching and leadership across the continuum of education. Nominations in any category or multiple categories are welcomed. The nominator must specify whether the nominee should be honored for excellence in undergraduate, graduate, or clinical teaching; or more than one of these categories. Recognizing the importance and distinctiveness of basic science education and clinical education, there will be awards to honor excellence in each of these areas. Each faculty may nominate one junior and one senior faculty member in this category. This award is focused on education and leadership across the continuum of education. Distinguished mentorship is recognized through the Francis H. Straus Mentorship Award.
Nominations are now open through April 28th!
- One Junior Faculty Award: Instructors, Assistant Professors, early Associate Professors (4 years or less)
- One Senior Faculty Award: Late Associate (more than 4 years) or Full Professors
Previous Award Winners
Stacie Levine, MD, Professor of Medicine
Daniel Golden, MD, Associate Professor of Radiation and Cellular Oncology
- A. Murat Eren, PhD, Medicine (GI)
- Maryellen Giger, PhD, Radiology
2011 - 2020
- Lucy Godley, MD, PhD, Medicine
- Hae Kyung Im, PhD, Medicine
- Manyuan Long, PhD, Ecology and Evolution
- Demet Araç-Özkan, PhD, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Matthew Stephens, PhD, Human Genetics and Statistics
- Jane Churpek, MD, Medicine
- Stefano Allesina, PhD, Ecology and Evolution
- D. Allan Drummond, PhD, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Joy Bergelson, PhD, Ecology and Evolution
- Marcus Kronforst, PhD, Ecology and Evolution
- Michael Rust, PhD, Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology
- Thomas Gajewski, MD, PhD, Medicine, Pathology and the Ben May Department for Cancer Research
- Sliman Bensmaia, PhD, Organismal Biology & Anatomy
- Paul Sereno, PhD, Organismal Biology & Anatomy
- Dezheng Huo, MD, PhD, Public Health Sciences
- Jonathan Staley, PhD, Molecular Genetics & Cell Biology
- Joseph Piccirilli, PhD, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology and Chemistry
- David Freedman, PhD, Neurobiology
- Nancy Cox, PhD, Human Genetics and Medicine
- Joel Collier, PhD, Surgery
- Ernst Lengyel, MD, PhD, Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Juliane Bubeck Wardenburg, MD, PhD, Pediatrics and Microbiology
- Molly Przeworski, PhD, Human Genetics and Ecology & Evolution
- Donald F. Steiner, MD, Medicine and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Candidate must be a current member of the employed (non-voluntary) faculty at the University of Chicago and hold their primary appointment in a BSD department.
- The educational achievements for which the candidate is to be considered must have taken place while the person was a faculty member at the University of Chicago.
- Current elected members of the Faculty Advisory Committee are ineligible; see list of members here.
- Nominee’s CV Highlighted with activities and achievements that are relevant to this award
- Two Nomination Letters (250-500 words each)
1. Faculty Member Nomination Letter
(250-500 words) describing why the person is being nominated, including the extent of their teaching (learner level, teaching frequency and duration, quality of teaching, as well as educational scholarship or leadership)
2. Student or Trainee Nomination Letter (250-500 words)
Nominating faculty member must solicit a second letter from a student or trainee and submit on their behalf. Nomination letters from trainees or students who are no longer at the University of Chicago will be accepted as long as the statement speaks to training done at UChicago. This letter should include the extent of their teaching (learner level, teaching frequency and duration, quality of teaching, as well as educational scholarship or leadership), and any comments on educational leadership/scholarship if known.
Nominating faculty member is responsible for submitting the Nomination Letter from a student or trainee.
Nomination Submission Process
- Complete google form below to notify us of your nomination https://forms.gle/eYxfrLosypWUY2YV7
- Upload all required materials to boxm, see below or click https://uchicago.app.box.com/f/bb013eff86054c508a5bf59e0c07a117