This award recognizes an individual whose contributions benefit local communities. While community impact can be measured by giving personal time, resources, and skills for this award, we are seeking individuals who connect civic engagement to the missions of the BSD to make a lasting impact. Through this individual’s actions, others benefit from innovative ideas, programming, services, or initiatives that transform. (e.g., engaged in exemplary community engagement activities such as volunteerism, community-based learning, outreach, partnerships, curricular engagement, or community-based research; activities have improved the lives of others in innovative ways and demonstrated a commitment to equity and inclusion.)
- Individual nominees must be current staff members* in the Biological Sciences Division (BSD) of the University of Chicago.
- The achievements for which the individual is being nominated must have occurred while at the University of Chicago and in the relevant time period.
- Current members of the Award Nomination Committee are ineligible.
- This award can recognize either service to the local community and/or to another community or communities. Civic engagement, improve health and community safety, and having a lasting impact in Chicago and beyond.
- Engaged in exemplary community engagement activities such as volunteerism, community-based learning, outreach, partnerships, curricular engagement, or community-based research;
- Addressed an important service need outside of campus;
- Made a positive, meaningful impact on the individuals and/or community served;
- Improved the lives of others in innovative ways and demonstrated a commitment to equity and inclusion; and/or
- Demonstrate(s) meaningful, deep commitment to this issue area and the community they are serving.
Nomination Submission Requirements:
- A short summary (250-500 words) or video (3-5 minutes) stating the basis for the nomination.
- For team nominations: Summary must include the list of the individual(s) who are being nominated. Please note which individuals are not part of the BSD and their affiliation.
* A staff member is defined as someone who receives a W-2 from the university at the end of the year.