Projects (Internal/non-NIH Funding):
- Proliferation and Nano-particle sensitizing agents. Chin-Tu Chen, Ph.D., PI. (18F-FLT)
- Total bone marrow irradiation in addition to fludarabine/melphalan conditioning. Hongtau Liu, M.D., PI. (18F-FLT, human use under a UC held IND).
- Image-Guided Precision Radiotherapy of Hypoxic Tumors. Howard Halpern, M.D. & Chin-Tu Chen, Ph.D., co-PIs. (18F-Miso)
- Pin 1 Marker for Pancreatic Cancer (with UIC).
- Development of 18F – NaBF4 (with UIC).
- Multiple Sclerosis Imaging Marker. Pedro Brugarolas, Ph.D., PI. (18F-3F4AP)
- Development of 11C-PIB for clinical research use, Richard Freifelder, Ph.D., PI (11C-PIB)
- Investigation of 48V labeled VO(acac)2 for Cancer Imaging, Chin-Tu Chen, Ph.D., PI (48VO(acac)2).
- Nose to Brain Delivery of Insulin Growth Factor 1, Richard Kraig, Ph.D., PI.
- Development of a novel glucocorticoid radiotracer as a predictive and pharmacodynamic biomarker for glucocorticoid receptor expressing (GR-positive) malignancies, Russell Szmulewitz, M.D PI.
Grants (External Funding):
- R01/S1 NS093908 (Carroll/Christoforidis). Development of Novel MR Imaging for Ischemia Stroke Evaluation.
- R01 DA044760 (Green/Chen/Mukherjee). PET Imaging of α4β2 Nicotinic Receptor Upregulation and Smoking Cessation.
- R01 DA044760-02S1 (Green/Chen/Mukherjee). Supplemental grant for adding an Alzheimer’s imaging agent to the R01 grant above.
- DP2 GM128199 (Moellering). Targeting Transcription with Synthetic Biologicals.
- R01 CA098575 (Halpern). Radiation Biology of EPR Oxygen Images.
- R01 CA236385 (Chen/Hapern/Karczmar). Improved Radiation Therapy of Hypoxic Tumor Regions by Integrated PET, EPR, & MR Imaging. Pending.
- P. Brugarolas, R. Freifelder, S.-H. Cheng, O. de Jesus. Synthesis of 3-[18F]fluoro-4-aminopyridine from pyridine N-oxide precursors, Chem. Comm. 52 (2016) pp. 7150-7152.
- P. Brugarolas, M.P.I. Bhuiyan, A. Kucharski, R. Freifelder. Automated Radiochemical Synthesis of [18F]3F4AP: A Novel PET Tracer for Imaging De- myelinating Diseases, J. Vis.Exp. 123 (2017) e55537.
- Brugarolas, P., Sánchez-Rodríguez, J.E., Tsai, H.-M., Basuli, F., Cheng, S.-H., Zhang, X., Caprariello, A.V., Lacroix, J.J., Freifelder, R., Murali, D., DeJesus, O., Miller,R.H., Swenson, R.E., Chen, C.-T., Herscovitch, P., Reich, D.S., Bezanilla, F., and Popko, B.: Development of a PET radioligand for potassium channels to image CNS demyelination. Scientific Reports, 8 (2018) 607.
- Molecular imaging for intranasal drug development, L. Leoni, 2016 Midwest Preclinical Imaging Consortium University of Wisconsin – Madison, Madison, WI, May 15-17, 2016.
- Molecular Imaging: At the Forefront of Medicine, But Firmly Rooted in Nuclear Physics, R. Freifelder, QCD Thermodynamics – Pressure and Passion, Schloss Waldthausen, Germany, Aug. 24-26, 2016.
- Integrative Multi-Modality Molecular Imaging: Recent Progress at the UChicago, C.-T. Chen, Research Seminar, Gordon Center for Imaging Science, Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard University Medical School, Boston MA, September 6, 2016.
- Two Case Studies: Cyclotrons and cGMP Production Facilities for Two Universities, R, Freifelder, ISPE Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Sept. 18-21, 2016.
- iSAIRR and Cyclotron Facilities. L. Leoni, 2017 Midwest Preclinical Consortium, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, May 14-16, 2017.
- Atoms for Peace in Medicine and Biology, C.-T. Chen, CP-1 Commemoration Event – The University of Chicago, Physics Colloquia, Chicago, IL Nov. 2, 2017.
- Molecular Imaging & Theranostics with An Example of PRINT (Precision-RadioImmuno-NanoTheranostics), C.-T. Chen, Development Center for Biotechnology, Taipei, Taiwan, Dec. 12, 2017.
- RadioTheranostic Strategies for Improving NSCLC Treatment Outcomes, C.-T. Chen, UChicago Comprehensive Cancer Center, Translational Seminar, Chicago, IL, Dec. 15, 2017.
Assessment of Photodynamic Therapy Efficacy of X-ray Activated Nanoscintillators Using 18F-FLT, H.-M. Tsai, 2018 Fourth Annual Invicro Software User Meeting, Boston MA, September 28, 2018.
- Clinical Molecular Imaging – Firmly Rooted in Nuclear Physics, R. Freifelder, Physics Colloquium, George Washington University, Washington DC, February 28, 2019.
The University of Chicago Cyclotron Facility and cGMP Radiotracer Production, R. Freifelder, 2019 Molecular Imaging Instrumentation Conference, Hong Kong, April 24-25, 2019.
- 48-V labeled VO(acac)2 for hybrid PET/MR imaging of cancer, Brittany Broder, et.al., 2019 Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Los Angeles, June 22-25, 2019.
Preliminary Investigation of Hypoxia within Tumors Using EPRI, DCE‑MRI, and PET‑CT with 18F‑FMISO to Improve Radiotherapy, Inna Gertsenshteyn, et.al., 2019 Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Los Angeles, June 22-25, 2019.
Assessment of Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) Efficacy of X‑ray Activated Nanoscintillators Using 18-F FLT in PET, Lara Leoni et. al., 2019 Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Los Angeles, June 22-25, 2019.
Investigation of the binding kinetics of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors by PET/CT using fluorine‑18 labeled Nifene and 2‑Fluoro‑3‑(2(S)‑azetidinylmethoxy)pyridine, Hannah J Zhang, Samuel Mitchell, et. al., 2019 Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Los Angeles, June 22-25, 2019.