3D U of C Campus

NSIT 6045

10+ years ago I started creating a 3D campus using Sketch Up and Google Earth. It was a pet project that I knew would be of value as time and technology progressed. Over the years, faculty and students have contacted me to inquire about my 3D campus and use it for their own work. You can find and download my models at 3Dwarehouse. One of the most interesting projects was for the University of Chicago Center in Beijing. I was contacted and worked with U of C Beijing Center on the 3D artwork of the Hyde Park campus shown in the entrance of the Beijing Center pictured here on the right-hand side of the photo below. This wall relief is a scale model of the Hyde Park campus.

B Model

I worked with the director and the model makers to get information on buildings campus wide. They used my 3D buildings as well as hundreds of my photographs to painstakingly create this wall relief. Below are some images of the actual work being done.

Model 01

Model 03

Model 02

The 3D campus is still under construction and has grown into an extraordinary project taken on by University of Chicago facilities. Please check out what has become of my 3D campus in my previous post “My 3D Campus Buildings Are Part of the Big Picture.”