Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The PhD is a rigorous course of study that prepares students for careers grounded in research, teaching, and publicly-engaged intellectual leadership. Students specialize in one of 11 areas of study. The average completion time is 6-8 years.
Applicants to the PhD program must have a Master’s degree in a program of study related to the proposed area of doctoral study.
- Two Years of coursework
- Demonstrated competence in French and German through a test or course administered by the Chicago Language Center. Some areas require additional language study.
- 4 Qualifying Examinations
- Dissertation Prosposal
We offer admission to the doctoral program annually.
- Divinity School Application for Graduate Admission
- Personal Statement
- Academic Transcripts
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- GRE Scores
- Current Resume or CV
- Writing Sample, not to exceed 25 pages
- Application fee: $75 (waiver available)
- International Students: TOEFL or IELTS score. See our International Admissions page for more information.
Non-Divinity School MA Students– December 15
Current Divinity School MA|MDiv students or recent alumni (within 2 years)– January 15
Current Divinity School MA or MDiv students and recent alumni (within 2 years) will submit a Course of Study Petition and a graded paper with professor’s comments in lieu of the personal statement.
Academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores, and resume are not required for Divinity School MA or MDiv students or recent alumni.
All PhD students receive a scholarship that covers tuition, student health insurance, and a living stipend for the first five (5) years of the program. The stipend for 2018-19 is $27,000.
PhD students are also eligible for up to four (4) summer research stipends of $3,000 each during the first five (5) years.
After the 5th year, tuition scholarships are extended to the degree completion, conditional on satisfactory degree progress.
Students with approved dissertation proposals by the end of year 5 also receive health insurance coverage for years 6 and 7.