The Liebmann Fellowship provides tuition and a stipend of $18,000, and is renewable for two additional years. Candidates must be US citizens enrolled full-time in a graduate degree program.
Divisional Deans of Students along with UChicagoGRAD will choose three nominees to send to the national competition. The Liebmann Fellowship seeks to support students who can demonstrate financial-need.
· Note for MA students: to be nominated for the Liebmann fellowship you must be in a 2 or 3 year program to be eligible.
· Note for doctoral students: Liebmann nominees have typically been students in their 5th or 6th year of study (holding the Liebmann fellowship after the conclusions of their Divisional fellowship). To understand more about how holding the Liebmann fellowship could impact your current Divisional fellowship or your eligibility for further Divisional dissertation year fellowship awards, please contact Dean Feigelson.
If you wish to apply, your application materials must be must be submitted to Dean Feigelson electronically by end of the business day on Friday, December 14th, 2018.
1. Fellowships are available to students who are currently enrolled in and pursuing a graduate degree at a designated institution of higher learning located in the United States of America. Undergraduate students are no longer qualified candidates.
2. The program of study being pursued by the candidate may include any recognized field of study in the humanities, social sciences, or natural sciences (including law, medicine, engineering, architecture or other formal professional training). The selection committee has a strong preference for supporting scholarly endeavors.
3. The candidate must have received a baccalaureate degree at the time of application and have an outstanding undergraduate record.
4. The candidate must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
5. The candidate must be a citizen of the United States of America.
6. The candidate may be of any national descent or background.
1. The amount of each Fellowship will cover actual tuition costs plus an $18,000 annual stipend to be allocated towards room, board and ordinary living expenses, as well as any income taxes thereon.
2. The recipient of a Fellowship shall be known as a Dolores Zohrab Liebmann Fellow.
3. Fellowships are awarded annually. Each Fellow MUST APPLY FOR A RENEWAL of his or her fellowship by March 30 of the following year in accordance with the terms in effect at the time the fellowship is awarded. (No reminder will be sent.) Fellowships will be limited to a maximum of three years.
4. Awarded fellowships may not be deferred.
5. A Fellowship may be canceled at any time if a Fellow engages in misconduct affecting the Fund, breaches any of these rules or provides false information to the Fund either directly or indirectly.