Essays and Other Writing
- Platforms Need to Work with Their Users — Not Against Them (with Andrew B. Hall), Harvard Business Review, May 22, 2022.
- Why it matters when Governor J.B. Pritzker wears a mask (with Mehdi Shadmehr), Chicago Tribune, May 1, 2020.
- The U.S. Can Deter Iran but Not Its Proxies, Foreign Policy, January 23, 2020.
- The Pitfalls and Possibilities of the Measurement Revolution for National Security (with Liam Collins, Kristen G. Decaires, and Jacob N. Shapiro), War on the Rocks, January 16, 2020.
- Getting Counterinsurgency Wrong, The Boston Review, December 23, 2019.
- The Perils of Quantification, The Boston Review, March 11, 2019.
- The Case for a Cyber Deterrence Plan that Works, (with Sandeep Baliga and Alexander Wolitzky), The National Interest, March 5, 2019.
- Al-Shabaab Is Fighting For Its Survival, CNN.COM, September 27, 2013.
- One Way to Defeat the NRA, (with Jens Ludwig) CNN.COM. January 11, 2013
- The Perils of Quantification: The 2013 Aims of Public Policy Address
- Doing Good vs. Feeling Good: The 2015 Aims of Public Policy Address
- Why People Turn to Bombs: Review of Alan B. Krueger’s “What Makes a Terrorist: Economics and the Roots of Terrorism,” Science Vol 318, Issue 5857, 14 December 2007