Graduate Admissions Blog

Imani LaGrone class of ’22 is a master’s student in the Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice. Imani spoke with graduate students in the Social Work program to discuss their experiences with learning in a virtual environment. Responses have been edited for length and clarity.

“Mary” switched to virtual learning at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in Spring 2020.  

Have you witnessed any changes in the level of academic support and social activity with the switch to remote learning? 

I haven’t seen too much of a change in the area of academics. I do believe that some professors are helping on an individual level by being cautious about their syllabus and the workload they are creating. My program, however, has been very intentional about social programing. They have listened to students’ concerns about Zoom fatigue but have not abandoned the need for social bonding and community building. There are limited opportunities to connect socially since everything is virtual, but on the rare occasions that it does occur, it is draining to even enjoy this when you spend hours staring at a screen. 

Are there any challenges to the learning experience you have seen thus far by switching to a virtual platform? 

The discussions are not the same, or feel as authentic, and it is harder to feed off classmates’ comments and have a fluid conversation There are limited activities to engage with the readings and not all professors are as skilled in online teaching. 

What advantages are there to a virtual platform versus in-person? 

Professors have been more intentional about the material and activities they assign. 

How prepared do you feel to begin your work in your profession? Are there any impacts from virtual learning in reaching the conclusion of your degree program? 

I feel very prepared to begin working in my profession. My program is very practice-based and I’m still gaining a lot of hands-on experience. Learning to adapt to the unpredictable has been beyond beneficial for my future career. Learning how to teach, socialize, and program virtually are all things I will need in the next part of my journey. I do believe that virtual learning will have lasting impacts [but] it is something that we will be able to overcome with time and effort 

Anything else you would like to share about learning in a virtual environment (especially in comparison to in-person instruction)? 

I think we need to remember that everyone learns differently. Some students are thriving with the virtual learning environment, others are really struggling to learn using virtual platforms. Professors need to take this into account when creating syllabus and students need to adjust their studying routines/habits.  

“Susan” is a first-year MA student who started at the University of Chicago in Autumn 2020 with virtual learning.  

Do you feel supported in academic and social life?  

I feel like many of the professors have been supportive and understanding about the state of the world, which I appreciate. Being aware of various governmental rulings helps as it allows students to be well informed of additional resources that may be allocated to schools, as was done with the pandemic financial relief packages.  

I think some advantages of a virtual platform is that the students can truly access this program from anywhere in the world without taking on the pressure or financial burden of moving to Chicago. It also allows those who wouldn’t be as comfortable speaking up in an in-person setting to have a voice as a virtual setting makes them feel more comfortable. The virtual setting works a lot better for some students, which is great. It allows for those to do what is best for them based on where they are located and what is currently going on in their life.  

For more information about remote learning at University of Chicago, including more comprehensive information on student services and supportvisit the UChicago Learning Remotely webpage. 

Scroll to Top