Graduate Admissions Blog

Sparkle Delphinis is the Associate Director of Student Recruitment at the Harris School of Public Policy. She shares her insight into campus visitation programs in one of the largest professional schools at the University of Chicago. 

What are Harris Visit Days, and what are they like?  

SD: Each year, we host our Annual Fall Open House, Admitted Student Week, and Diversity Day Visit programs. These events occur throughout the year, and are intended to educate prospective students on the resources we offer, faculty research, and immerse students into the Harris Community. During Diversity Day, specifically, our goal is to establish relationships with students from unique backgrounds and experiences and answer their questions. These programs are also designed to educate prospective students about the application process and what we look for in candidates applying to our programs. Oftentimes I hear Dean Baicker refer to Harris students as having “grit.” So, when I talk to prospective students, I try to share that intangible thing that we look for in your application.  

What is your role in Harris Visit Days? 

SD: My role depends on the programming. With Diversity Visit Days, I take more of a leadership role. I assess the type of programming based upon the interests and needs prospective students, collaborate with leadership, and stakeholders, create a space to have courageous conversations, and ask those tough questions. During Admitted Student week, I work within a team to plan the programming.  

What is your favorite thing about campus visitation events? 

SD: Connecting with students more informally is my favorite part. I am especially invested in Diversity Visit Days because students have very challenging questions they would like to ask, but they don’t necessarily know what spaces welcome those types of questions. So, the Diversity Day creates this platform for students. Here they can dig a little bit deeper.   

How do Visit Days help prospective students? 

SD: Some prospective students may have impostor syndrome or are just nervous about the idea of graduate school. Visit Days provide tips for applying to graduate school and the encouragement to get started and apply. I remember a prospective student that I spoke with, who was later admitted and decided to enroll, who recalled a conversation we had about applying to graduate school where I told her that she should “just apply, that’s the first step, and you’ll be okay.” Harris was her first application, which helped reduce her nervousness to apply to other schools. She got into all the schools she applied to and recounted that she needed to hear someone tell her to “just apply.” So, we aim to provide application tips and encouragement, and remind students that graduate school is a possibility for them.  

Additionally, students often ask questions about scholarships and funding, so I usually share external scholarship resources that can be applied towards any program they choose to enroll in. Regardless of which school they choose, I know that they have all the resources they need. In my experience working with first-generation and underrepresented students, providing workshops and sessions is the key to this process. Earning a college degree doesn’t necessarily mean you understand graduate school, how to apply, and the layers the process includes. So, I serve in an advisory capacity to some extent and share resources with prospective students.  

What would you tell prospective students who are thinking about attending a campus visitation event?  

SD: Network! We know the value of networking, but sometimes people can feel that networking is something that they can get to later once they enroll. Networking starts right away. Even if you don’t opt to enroll at Harris, the people who you meet along the way and network with throughout the application process could be future colleagues and managers or other thought leaders that you might want to connect with. To get the most out of our programming, network, network, network.   

Scroll to Top