Immediately call the Neuropath attending on-call (call should be made by the AP Technician upon notice of pending intra-op consultation, before the specimen arrives).
- When specimen comes from OR with frozen section label, do not freeze before reviewing the gross specimen with a neuropathology attending!
- You may be asked to do a smear and/or freeze a portion of the tissue.
- Following frozen section, please confirm with the attending if the frozen block should be saved frozen or thawed and submitted.
- If the block is to be saved frozen, inform the front desk staff.
- If the block is to be submitted, please thaw, place tissue in mesh bag, and place in formalin. Confirm with the attending the desired histology protocol (routine H&E, 5 Level FNB, 10 Level FNB).
- All Neuro cases (with the exception of larger resections or seizure focuses) should be submitted the same day as receipt.
- FNB biopsies can be submitted on the BIOPSY run.
- Larger specimens should be on the BIGS run (4pm or 7pm).
- Please verify that the histology protocol is that desired by the attending.