- For HIPEC cases, please see HIPEC.
- For omenta submitted for GI cancer cases, please see Omentum – GI.
- For omenta submitted for Peritoneal Mesothelioma, please see Peritoneal Mesothelioma.
Auto text: “Insert Omentum”
- The majority of these specimens will be part of a cancer-staging surgery.
- These specimens can be grossed fresh. If the remainder of the case needs to be fixed, then weigh omentum and submerge in formalin.
- Weigh and measure.
- Describe surface texture, color, and consistency.
- Serially section the specimen at 0.5 cm intervals and look for white, gray, tan nodules.
- If tumor nodules ARE identified, measure the nodules (report the range) and submit a representative section in one cassette.
- If tumor nodules are NOT identified AND the omentum is being removed as part of a tumor staging procedure:
- Ovary/fallopian tube primary – submit 10 cassettes in total.
- Endometrial primary – submit 4 cassettes in total.
Updated 1-8-19 NAC.