Auto text: “Insert Uterus Benign”
- Weigh specimen and measure:
- 3 dimensions of uterus (C-C, Fundus-LUS, A-P)
- 3 dimensions of cervix (face and length)
- Shape, diameter of os
- Ovaries (3D) and fallopian tubes (2D), if present
- Identify anterior and posterior sides and note quality of serosa:
- The peritoneal reflection extends further inferiorly on the posterior side and is pointed.
- The peritoneal reflection on the anterior side is rounded.
- The tube is anterior to the ovary.
- The round ligament stump is anterior to the tubal isthmus.
- Bisect uterus through 3:00 and 9:00 positions.
- Measure endocervical canal and endometrial cavity in 2 dimensions, and thickness of endometrium and myometrium.
- Measure any lesions (whorled nodules, polyps, etc).
- Most of these cases should be grossed on same day of receipt.
- Obtain longitudinal sections through cervix, anterior and posterior sides.
- If there was a history of HSIL on prior biopsy specimen, submit the entire squamo-columnar junction radially. Specify cassettes by quadrant (12-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12 o’clock).
- Transversely section the endomyometrium and take 2 full-thickness sections (1 anterior and 1 posterior).
- Serially section any nodules and look for areas of necrosis (opaque yellow-white), hemorrhage, or softening.
- For normal-appearing whorled nodules (firm, white-tan, well-circumscribed):
- For atypical-appearing whorled nodules (hemorrhage, necrosis, softening, discoloration, infiltration) submit 1 section per cm of the atypical nodule, up to 10 sections. We can always go back if more sections are needed.
- Endometrial polyps should be submitted entirely, including interface with underlying endometrium.
- Submit representative sections of ovaries, if present. Submit entirely per SEE-FIM protocol if patient has a history of breast cancer.
- For fallopian tubes, if present: Submit entire fimbriae (longitudinally sectioned) and 2 representative tubal cross-sections. Submit entirely per SEE-FIM protocol if patient has a history of breast cancer.
Updated 5-2-2022 SRR