Auto text: “Insert Sinus Contents”
For Chronic Sinusitis, Deviated Septum, etc
- Sinus contents often come in mesh bags with plastic toppers.
- Remove all contents from the bag and measure the tissue aggregate in 3D.
- Submit 3 representative cassettes, making sure to preferentially submit mucoid material and tan tissue fragments (rather than blood clots).
- If the entire specimen can be submitted in 3 or less cassettes, please do so.
For known or suspected Sinonasal (Inverted / Schneiderian) Papillomas
- Submit the ENTIRE specimen in order to evaluate for carcinoma.
For known or suspected Invasive Fungal Sinusitis
- These cases mostly occur in immunocompromised patients (hematologic malignancies, diabetes).
- Submit the ENTIRE specimen.
- GMS should be ordered at the time of grossing on all cassettes (check with attending if unsure).
- If the specimen is sent for frozen section:
- Fungi are often better identified on Diff-Quick stain.
- In addition to your routine H&E sections, cut an additional section for Diff-Quick:
- DO NOT place the slide in the small jar of alcoholic formalin! Let the slide AIR DRYafter cutting the section.
- Then stain the slide according to the DQ Protocol posted in the lab. (DQ stains are kept near the lymphoma work-up supplies).
- After staining – let the slide AIR DRY prior to cover-slipping.