Call for Papers
Call for Papers for the 2023-2024 Academic Year Now Open!
The Immigration Workshop at UChicago is currently accepting submissions for AY23-24. The workshop is an interdisciplinary forum for immigration-centered projects, providing space for students, post-doctoral fellows, and faculty at the University of Chicago to present works-in-progress dealing with critical issues of global human mobility. We invite submissions from scholars who wish to think with us about their work and to push intellectual disciplinary boundaries around the study of immigration. We welcome a wide range of topics, methods, and presentation styles, as well as research proposals, articles, book chapters, and dissertation chapters. To foster our community, we will prioritize submissions from people who commit to attending the workshop, especially during the quarter they are presenting. If you’re unsure about how your research intersects with the aims of the workshop, please email us to check in!
During every workshop, we will discuss 1-2 papers of no more than 25 double-spaced pages. One respondent will be in charge of providing detailed comments for each paper, and participants will provide additional feedback during the workshop having read the paper before attending. Papers are sent out one week before the workshop meets to allow participants ample time to read the work-in-progress thoroughly. Light snacks and refreshments will be provided for each meeting.
Fall 2023 Workshop
Our plan is to meet in person at the Center for International Social Science Research (CISSR), Conference Room 105, at Pick Hall, 5828 South University Ave. The schedule is below:
- Workshop 1: Juan Pedroza, Ph.D., Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2023, 4:30-6:00pm (papers distributed Oct. 4)
- Workshop 2: Wednesday, TBD, 4:30-6:00pm (papers distributed TBD)
- Special Book Talk Event with Alejandra Diaz de Leon from COLMEX: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 4:30-6:00pm
- Workshop 3: Diana Sandoval Siman, Wednesday December 6, 2023, 4:30-6:00pm (papers distributed Nov. 29
If you would like to present at the workshop during the 2023/2024 academic year and/or serve as a respondent, please complete this google form by Friday, October 6, 2023: https://forms.gle/taWG4wNY2wAhwAsG8
The form will ask for:
- Name, pronouns, department, and email
- Interest in serving as respondent
- Interest in workshopping your work. If yes, then you will include a description of the work (it’s an article or diss chapter), the work’s title, and a 250-500 word abstract. You will also have space to include suggestions for respondents.
Questions & Accessibility
Please visit our website https://voices.uchicago.edu/immigrationworkshop/ for more information.
A note on accessibility and inclusion: The Immigration Workshop welcomes all university students, faculty, staff, speakers, and affiliates. If there are accommodations we can make to facilitate your access, please reach out. We will strive to create and support a good experience in our workshop space.