If you’re not on our mailing list, you might have missed that we’re hiring! We’re looking for a temporary research assistant for the summer. The deadline to apply is July 15th.
IIM recently contributed to a joint statement released by the National Muslim Taskforce on COVID-19, regarding a phased reopening of mosques across the United States.
The British Board of Scholars and Imams recently collaborated with IIM in assembling this guide, which lays out an ethical framework sourced from the Islamic tradition to guide Muslim stakeholders in their decision-making regarding resource allocation and end-of-life care. It addresses patient/family-level, clinician-level, and policy-maker level considerations, while recognising that every decision should be contextual and multi-faceted.
New Normal Movement
What is the New Normal Movement?
We are starting an exciting project aimed atunderstanding the healthcare needs of Muslim patients with regard to hospital accommodations with the hopes of affecting change to hospital policies in your region. This is a great opportunity to get involved in unique research that will benefit the Muslim community (See previous focus group).
Why is this important?
Muslim participation in health research is low. By being involved in this study you will help us push for health care that better serves Muslims in the U.S.
How will this benefit you?
- Gain valuable quantitative research experience that will improve your skills and your resume
- After the survey distribution phase, have the opportunity to run data analysis, compile hospital policy protocols, and publish manuscripts as first person author
- Mentorship and support from the Islam and Medicine
- Share in the reward from Allah (SWT) for your intentions and any good that results from this research
- Opportunity to get involved in future projects
Welcome to the Initiative on Islam and Medicine
The Initiative on Islam and Medicine (II&M) at the University of Chicago aspires to become the leading center for study and dialogue at the intersection of the Islamic tradition and biomedicine.