Diamonds in the rough that is Twitter

Gems, if not diamonds, still come over the transom at Twitter.

This beautiful Easter story about a newly discovered treatise on how to decide the date of Easter: https://twitter.com/chaprot/status/1247541150136676353?s=20

It’s a great thread, not only because it captures a heated debate about when to celebrate (CLEARLY ON THE 25TH OF MARCH, NO CLEARLY ON THE SAME DATE AS PESACH, NO CLEARLY ON A SUNDAY!) before the Council of Nicaea, but also because along the way, it points to the insecurities of all scholars, but especially young scholars, who are breaking new ground. “Surely this can’t be new, right?” Read and enjoy the whole tread for yourself! The book that resulted is

Sur la Pâque, by Pierre Chambert-Protat and Camille Gerzaguet, in Sources Chrétiennes vol. 604. 

Small gem today: alum Sam posted a request for the Greek original behind this Latin poem:

tela adimam tibi cuncta, Deum pater inquit Amori:
quid si iterum cycnum te faciam? inquit Amor.

Here’s the Greek:
Ὁ Ζεὺς πρὸς τὸν Ἔρωτα· “Βέλη τὰ σὰ πάντ’ ἀφελοῦμαι.”
χὠ πτανός· “Βρόντα, καὶ πάλι κύκνος ἔσῃ.” (Greek Anth. 9.108)

and another swanny one as a bonus:
ἀρκεῖ τέττιγας μεθύσαι δρόσος· ἀλλὰ πιόντες
ἀείδειν κύκνων εἰσὶ γεγωνότεροι.

[Who will save me from this horrible Greek font..]

2 responses

• Thanks so much! The environment here is very much pre-set, and I’ll have to figure out if I can change the css at all.. (or need to switch to a different choice among the pre-set options..) If I can, I figure I should probably upload the font we use for Philologic4, but I’m not sure we’re allowed to make that kind of change:-(