Indignation, premature and actual

Premature indignation first: I noticed that the Loeb text of How to Study Poetry printed καμμονίαν for the Homeric word καμμονίην for what seem to me spurious reasons. I check the TLG text and — same. Grumble, blegh. Except, in fact, the TLG uses the 1927 Babbitt Loeb so this just represented the same bad decision of a hundred years ago.

Turns out, Hunter/Russell (sorry for referring to that G&Y as just by Hunter previously) have a thoughtful note about καμμονίη, even.

This brings me to actual indignation, I guess. I do understand that many classicists and especially Byzantinists, who have no other recourse, prefer to use the TLG for all their research. All the best texts, etcetera. But what happened to that notion of all the best texts? In the past, new editions replaced old ones, regardless of critical discussion (e.g., Lloyd-Jones&Wilson became the reference text for Sophocles). But in my (fairly random) recent explorations, I’m not seeing this: Not for this Plutarch text, not for Strabo (Radt), not for Hippocrates’ Epidemics (Jouanna).