Daniel Margoliash

Daniel Margoliash

Professor

Welcome to our lab web page. I was trained by Mark Konishi during my graduate studies at Caltech and by Nobuo Suga during my postdoctoral studies at Washington University. In our work we try to maintain the neuroethological perspective that their work has so elegantly embodied. dan@ bigbird.uchicago.edu 

Graduate Students

Andrew Savoy

Andrew Savoy

Graduate Student

I am an Integrative Neuroscience student, interested in the neurobiological mechanisms of valuation, especially regarding species-typical preferences and the development of individual differences.

Graham Fetterman

Graham Fetterman

Graduate Student

I am a Seventh-year Neurobiology student. I am interested in the role of sensory feedback in modulating ongoing motor production.

Nelson Medina

Nelson Medina

Graduate Student

I am a fourth year student in neurobiology, interested in the fundamental cellular mechanisms underlying learning and memory. 

Daniel D Baleckaitis

Daniel D Baleckaitis

Laboratory Manager

I’ve been with the lab for more than 22 years and my responsibilities include training people, Histology, building stuffs, troubleshooting and helping to maintain the lab.  I have an unique skill-set and try to combine my interests into everyday work e.g. watchmaking, brewing beer (See What I’m Brewing), woodworking and photography.

My Photography Portfolio

Instagram Page

Collaborations

Henry D. I. Abarbanel

Henry D. I. Abarbanel

Faculty

Physics Department and Scripps Institution of Oceanography

University of California, San Diego

habarbanel@ucsd.edu

We consider how one can determine the structure of complex nonlinear systems. Using ideas from nonlinear dynamics and statistical physics, we have developed exact integral representations of the way model systems behave when information from experimental and field measurements from the system they model are presented to them. This representation, in practical use with approximations designed for the biophysical or physical system at hand, allows accurate estimates of the state and parameters of the model. This allows the model, a dynamical rule for predicting future behavior of the system, to be used for forecasting.

In the Margoliash lab we work with individual neurons and small circuits of neurons from the songbird system with our start being an analysis of the song production pathway: HVC–>RA–>brainstem–>songbox.

Slice experiments are done on individual neurons in these nuclei, and their electrophysiological properties are inferred from short time series. These become the ingredients for the larger circuits comprising the song production pathway.

Gabriel Mindlin

Gabriel Mindlin

Associate Professor, Universidad de Buenos Aires Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA

Howard C. Nusbaum

Howard C. Nusbaum

PositionProfessor at the University of Chicago in the Department of Psychology and the Committee on Computational Neuroscience and co-Director of the Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience.

Todd Roberts, Ph.D.

Todd Roberts, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center

Past Lab Members-

Post-Doc

PhD

UNDERGRAD

FORMER STAFF