Miller Woods Early Spring – Pt3

continued from Pt2.

Once past the bridge the trail follows the shoreline of a small lake, hugging the steep sides of the sand dunes.  The trail here is pure sand and even the level stretches sap the energy from your legs.  At this point the lake is about a half mile away but I could already hear the continual pounding of the waves on the beach on this windy day.

Looking back at a 1/4 mile stretch of the trail along the boundary of a small lake.

This picture was taken from the same spot as the previous one, but now looking in the opposite direction towards Lake Michigan.  From this point on there was virtually no shelter from the wind and it was markedly colder.

After the last 1/4 mile of the trail we come upon the the beach on the southern end of Lake Michigan.  There was a constant 20mph wind coming across the cold waters of the lake and whereas I had worked up a bit of a sweat earlier on the trail I knew I would not remain here for too long.

Not a single soul to be seen anywhere on the beach this day.  Just sand, water and waves.

Here at the beach it is apparent just how nearby the steel mills of the Gary Works really are.  All along the trail up to this point you never would have known that they were there.  I am fascinated by the juxtaposition of the incredible natural beauty of the park lands and the presence of heavy industry.  A constant theme throughout the park.  At this point my hands were frozen stiff from working the camera and it was time to head back along the same trail.

Continued in Pt4…