Abandoned Beverly – Spring

This is the first part of a series of posts examining an abandoned stretch of Beverly dr. through a portion of the Great Marsh in the Indiana Dunes National Park.  The post A New Favorite Trail provides an introduction the series.

The following photographs were all taken during a hike in early March 2023. 

(You can click on any of the images to see them full size.)

The view down into the Great Marsh from the Dune Ridge trail. The day was grey and chilly, but not particularly cold. Fairly typical early spring conditions along the southern shore of Lake Michigan. Although you cannot really make it out in this photograph, the abandoned stretch of Beverly dr. snakes through the middle of the image, running alongside the larger body of water on the left.  The ridge itself is about 80′ above the valley, though portions of the trail consist of soft sand so it can be more of a workout than you’d expect.

Having hiked down from the dune ridge I am standing here at the end of one of the Beverly Shores trails which terminates just ahead at the abandoned stretch of Beverly dr. This time of year it is readily apparent how many of the trails in this part of the park run along old abandoned roads.  Coming out of winter all of the dormant foliage has been packed down and you can see clear across the marsh.

Here we are on Beverly dr. not far from where I entered from the Beverly Shores trail shown above. All along the sides of the roadway there are signs that a significant amount of brush and vegetation has recently been removed. I do not know for sure, but I am hoping that this area is actively undergoing restoration efforts.  Being a marsh, the ground is very wet and without the roadway I would not have attempted to pass through it.

The view into the larger body of water which appears on the left hand edge of the first photograph of this post. The scene looks rather desolate, particularly under the soft grey skies.  Personally I love the effect of the overcast sky on the surrounding land.  I also know that come spring this scene is going to take on a completely different appearance.

Here you can see the ridge along which the Dune Ridge trail runs, and from which the overview photo of the area was taken.

When these roads were built they formed a series of dams which interrupted the flow of the water which caused considerable damage to the ecosystem. An important part of restoration work in areas like this involves removing these barriers so that water can move through the marsh as it is supposed to. A section of the old roadway collapsed here. One of the park rangers who lives nearby built a foot bridge to preserve the ability to walk the road. The collapsed area does allow for a more natural water flow through the marsh and the park district installed a pipe to maintain the flow during times when beaver activity clogs the breach.

Although these photographs give the impression of a devastated landscape, I know what lies ahead and as I stroll this abandoned stretch of Beverly dr. I am excited for what is to come as the year progresses.

Here we are at the end of the road so to speak. This is where the town of Beverly Shores dumped a mound of dirt to block off this stretch of Beverly dr.

E. State Park Boundary Rd., heading back to the Kimel beach parking lot. Note the grates covering culverts which have been cut into the road for the purpose of allowing water to flow through the marsh.

Photographs alone cannot tell a full story of the experience of standing in the middle of a marsh.  This link will take you to a short video clip where you can hear the sounds which were all around me as I walked this stretch of Beverly dr.

As I wrapped up this hike I was very much looking forward to returning in a few months to see how the landscape will have changed.  To see what I found when I returned in June go to Pt 2 – Summer.