JOIN OUR GRADUATE TRAINEESHIP PROGRAM
The University of Chicago’s Data Science for Energy and Environmental Research (DSEER) program, supported by an NSF Research Traineeship grant (NRT), provides funding and resources for graduate students doing data-driven work in environmental areas, with a special emphasis on energy, food, and water (including climate and ecological systems). Our goal is to build community among students and to provide training in computational and statistical techniques in order to enrich students’ primary thesis work.
Applications will be accepted from incoming and current UChicago graduate students. This traineeship is not a degree program itself; students must be admitted through existing PhD and MS programs at UChicago. Students from diverse backgrounds and those traditionally underrepresented are especially encouraged to apply.
Accepted students typically receive two years of tuition, stipend, and travel support. Funding is only available for U.S. citizens and permanent residents in PhD or academic MS programs. International students and students in professional master’s programs (e.g., MPP, MBA) are welcome to participate in traineeship offerings, but cannot receive direct financial support.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Selection for our 2021-2023 cohort
will be completed by the end of Fall quarter.
Steps to Apply
1. Be a currently enrolled or incoming PhD or MS student at UChicago
2. Fill out and submit the application form for DSEER
3. Upload the following supplemental documents to this folder as a single pdf with the naming convention LastName_FirstName.pdf
– Statement of Interest (1-page max) – please describe why you are interested in the DSEER program, including how you would benefit from and contribute to our interdisciplinary community, along with your current or expected research focus
– Current CV (2-page max)
4. (PhD students only) Ask your advisor to send a letter of support to Dr Emily Padston, email@example.com
If you have any questions, please email Dr Emily Padston, firstname.lastname@example.org