MAPSS QMSA Course Selection Procedure
- Students should consult with their faculty mentors or the Senior Instructional Professor Dr. Yanyan Sheng (firstname.lastname@example.org) in course selection.
- If a course develops mathematical, statistical, or formal theoretic methods, but is not on the current QMSA course list, it is the responsibility of the student to supply a syllabus to the Senior Instructional Professor and copy Aasha Francis (email@example.com), Administrative Specialist for the Committee on Quantitative Methods.
- It is also the student’s responsibility to forward to the Senior Instructional Professor and copy Aasha Francis documentation of the faculty mentor’s approval for courses that are not on the current QMSA course list.
- If a student has the faculty mentor’s approval to take an undergraduate course essential in preparation for a doctoral program, it is the student’s responsibility to forward via email his or her advisor’s recommendation to the Senior Instructional Professor and copy Aasha Francis. In addition, the student must submit a petition form (a standard form supplied by MAPSS).
- Aasha Francis will confirm with the course instructor if a course is open to QMSA students and will collect information on prerequisites from the instructor.
- The Senior Instructional Professor is responsible for reviewing the course requests and implementing the course selection guidelines in consultation with the curriculum subcommittee.
- Aasha Francis will maintain documentation about the curriculum subcommittee’s decisions on new and existing courses and will update the QMSA course list periodically.
- Sheng and Aasha Francis will note in every student’s records any decisions reached in response to individual students’ requests.