SSRC Faculty Seed Grant Program
The Social Science Research Center offers one- to two-year seed grants to faculty in the Division of the Social Sciences intended to support early or novel stage research, with a special focus on research projects that exceed the boundaries of any one discipline. Priority will be given to projects expected to be highly competitive for funding once scaled. Proposals from junior faculty and for multi-investigator projects are encouraged. Project may start as soon as March 1, 2020.
Support is offered in a range of $5,000 – $50,000.
Funds may not be used for summer salary or course buyouts. Funds may not be used for direct support to faculty collaborators outside of the University of Chicago.
Principal Investigator must be faculty in the Division of the Social Sciences at the University of Chicago. Proposed projects should be cross-disciplinary and/or collaborative in nature.
Please submit your application via fundingopportunities.uchicago.edu no later than 5 p.m. Central Time on January 17, 2020. All applications require:
- A narrative of no more than four pages including:
- Major research question : Describe the major social science question or topic to be investigated.
- Research approach and methodology: Describe the methods or approaches your research team will be using and why a cross-disciplinary approach will shed new light on the topic.
- Anticipated results: Describe the potential impact of this project and measures for success.
- A project budget with budget justification
- Up-to-date CVs for all affiliated faculty
Faculty receiving seed grants will be asked to submit a summary of their findings at the end of each year, to agree to present research findings at an annual event, and to spend a half-day at the Social Sciences Research Center meeting with students and faculty one-on-one to discuss their project.
Please apply online here via the University of Chicago’s Funding Portal. University of Chicago users can log in directly with a CNetID or UCHADID. If you are a first time visitor to the portal and do not have a CNetID or UCHADID, you will need to sign up for an account. Once you have logged in, choose “View Funding” and search for “Social Science” to start your application. Once you have started an application, you will be able access it directly on your dashboard during future visits.