SSRC Graduate Student Fellowship Program
The Social Sciences Research Center (SSRC) offers Graduate Student Fellowships. Fellows receive use of one of the Center’s carrels on the third floor of 1155 East 60th Street. Fellows must have achieved candidacy in one of the Division’s PhD programs. A total of eight fellowships will be awarded.
In order to cultivate a scholarly community among our fellows, we will focus this year on graduate students using multiple methods in their research programs. In addition to describing how dedicated space and research funds will advance their research, interested applicants should describe how their research project will employ multiple methods.
About the SSRC
Opened in December 2017, the SSRC is designed to foster team-based and multi-method collaborative approaches to understanding complex social problems, thereby addressing the rapidly evolving and growing needs for research infrastructure across the social sciences. The space includes research team offices and cubicles, as well as a small conference room and lounge in a designated collaboration area, so as to bring together faculty and students from across the division for research and programmatic activities.
SSRC Graduate Fellows will be assigned a carrel in the shared workspace. The fellowship term is March 1, 2023–June 30, 2024.
University of Chicago PhD candidates from any department in the Division of the Social Sciences are encouraged to apply.
Please submit your application via uchicago.infoready4.com no later than 5 pm Central Time on January 25, 2023. All applications require:
- A narrative of no more than three pages including:
- Major research question: Describe the research question or topic to be investigated
- Research approach and methodology: Describe how multiple methods will be employed
- Anticipated results: Describe the potential impact of this project and measures for success
- An up-to-date CV of no more than two pages
- A dissertation committee member list
Fellows are expected to utilize their workspace in the SSRC regularly. Fellows agree to submit a summary of their research findings at the end of the fellowship term. Fellows agree to present their research findings or works in progress at a fellowship workshop.
Rules for use of SSRC space
- No SSRC space may be occupied by an individual or program without prior approval by the Social Sciences Dean’s Office. Any space that becomes vacant may not be occupied by an individual or program without prior approval of the Dean’s Office.
- Space must be used for its intended purpose.
- The conference rooms are for use by reservation only. All requests must be made to the SSRC.
- Occupants of the space are expected to be collegial and professional.
Please apply online at the University of Chicago Funding Portal. University of Chicago users can log in directly with a CNetID or UCHADID. Once you have logged in, funding opportunities are listed in the home screen table. Search for “SSRC Graduate Student Fellowship 2023-24” to start your application. Once you have started an application, you will be able access it directly under your “Applications” tab during future visits.
Contact Natalie Arsenault at email@example.com.