On Wednesday, February 7th, the Sound and Society Workshop is excited to welcome Nicole Morse (PhD Candidate in the Department of Cinema and Media Studies). Nicole will be presenting a draft of their final dissertation chapter, entitled:

The Image of Life and Life Itself #IRL:

Porous Boundaries and Posthuman Intimacies in Selfie Aesthetics

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Goodspeed Hall 205

4:30 – 6:00 PM

In Nicole’s words: “This is a draft version of the fourth and final chapter of my dissertation, a dissertation about selfies and how transfeminine artists use selfies politically, aesthetically, and theoretically. I’ve included most of the opening material of the chapter, but eliminated the majority of a section that is primarily concerned with photograph and literary criticism. I’m especially interested in feedback on the final section (particularly the material starting on page 27) as this is where the discussion of sound emerges. Although it’s the central case study for this chapter, I feel that I’m not yet doing it justice! I look forward to your feedback and to discussing this material with scholars who are far more fluent in talking about sound than I am.”

Click to view the paper here. Please do not cite or circulate Nicole’s paper; the password is “selfie.”

Special thanks to Liz Hopkins (Music History/Theory) for serving as respondent.

Refreshments will be served!

Persons who believe they may require accommodations to participate fully in this event should contact the coordinator, Bradley Spiers at spiersb@uchicago.edu or Amy Skjerseth at askjerseth@uchicago.edu in advance.