In Sound and Society’s second meeting of the spring quarter, we welcome Emily Dolan, the Gardner Cowles Associate Professor of Music at Harvard Universit, who will share a short version of her chapter, entitled:

“Mendacious Technologies”

Wednesday, April 11th, 2018

Logan 028

4:30 – 6:00 PM

This is a short version of the second chapter of my current book project, Instruments and Order. I prepared this version for an edited collection, Testing Hearing, which grew out of a workshop at the Max Planck Institute, organized by Alix Hui, Mara Mills, and Viktoria Tkaczyk.

I’ll talk a little bit about the larger book project in my introductory remarks and I will also share some of the material from the expanded version of this chapter. This is very much work in progress and I am eager for feedback!

Click to view the paper here. (Please do not cite or circulate)

Special thanks to John Lawrence for serving as respondent. Refreshments will be served.

Persons who believe they may require accommodations to participate fully in this event should contact the coordinator, Bradley Spiers at spiersb@uchicago.edu or Amy Skjerseth at askjerseth@uchicago.edu in advance.