In Sound and Society’s fourth meeting of the spring quarter, we welcome Anabel Maler (Music Theory), who will share her a draft of her fourth dissertation chapter, entitled:

Cadential Function and Rhetoric in Works by Alfred Schnittke

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018

Logan 028

4:30 – 6:00 PM

Thank you for taking the time to read this excerpt from my dissertation! I’m looking forward to getting your feedback. This is the first chapter of the second part of my dissertation. Part I (chapters 1-3) set out the methodological basis of my approach to formal functionality in post-tonal repertoires. Part II builds on the methodology established in Part I by exploring different expressive and rhetorical aspects of formal function through extended close readings, beginning with Alfred Schnittke’s polystylistic innovations.

If you’re short on time, I would suggest skipping section 2.1, which summarizes past approaches to the cadence within the music-theoretical literature, going straight from the introduction into the beginnings of my own conceptualization of cadence in section 2.2.
If you attended my job talk, section 3 will be familiar to you already. The analysis of the third string quartet (section 5) is new and still under development, so I would particularly appreciate feedback on that section.

Click to view the paper here. (Please do not cite or circulate)

Special thanks to Pierce Gradone for serving as respondent.

Persons who believe they may require accommodations to participate fully in this event should contact the coordinator, Bradley Spiers at spiersb@uchicago.edu or Amy Skjerseth at askjerseth@uchicago.edu in advance.