April 21 – Russell Johnson on Rhetorical Theory and Theology

Our first student presentation of the quarter is on Tuesday, April 21, noon- 1:20 pm, in Swift 200.

Russell Johnson (Ph.D. student, PR) will present his paper entitled “Communication Breakdown: What Rhetorical Theory Is and Why Theologians Should Care.”

Delicious lunch will be served!

Abstract:

In this paper, I give an introduction to the themes, conclusions, and methodologies of rhetorical theory. Rhetorical theory, or the philosophy of communication, once flourished at the University of Chicago but many religion scholars are unfamiliar or only indirectly familiar with its ideas. Through the exegesis of several short quotes (like McLuhan’s “the medium is the message”), I will give an overview of rhetorical theory. In the process, I will discuss some writers who have worked at the intersection of rhetorical theory and Christian theology. I conclude with a few provocative and as-of-yet-unsubstantiated claims to suggest how rhetorical theory could spark further theological reflection. I hope to show that theologians can benefit from becoming more aware of their existence as communicative agents.

Persons with disabilities who would request assistance, please us “contact us” form.