Cytometry and Antibody Technology

Welcome to the CAT Facility blog

by | Jun 20, 2019 | Announcements | 2 comments

The revamping of our website provides us with the opportunity to reboot what used to be a popular feature of the CAT Facility: the blog!

We’ll be posting about news from the facility, tips and tools to help with your experiments. Feel free to leave us a note in the comment section below!

I have spent a bit of time copying and pasting the posts from the blogspot site. However, I have no idea how to properly attribute these posts to their author, Former CAT Facility Technical Director Ryan Duggan. From 2007 to 2015, Ryan has posted some very insightful observations about the flow cytometry technology, the industry and core facilities. I thought it would be a shame to leave it behind. Some of it now reads like a time capsule (there’s a few posts about the imminent arrival of the now sunsetting LSRII 4-12). But a good number remain quite useful – the titration one is just great!

I’ll spend some time adding hashtags or something to help you navigate through the posts. It may take a while.

But for now, you should know that any post categorized under Archives is Ryan’s and should be celebrated as such.

2 Comments

1. Hello Ryan,
    In one of your blogs, i found this statement. “23-bit ADC conversion yield 8.4million channels across 6 decades, which generates approximately 76 bins in the 1st decade”. I am new to flow cytometry and couldnt actually understand how to know no of bins per log decade and its relation to ADC bits. Can you please explain and point me to the right reference articles. what i found on google is more misleading for me.

Reply
    • Hi Sunita,
      Ryan left the lab a few years ago. But here is a great review by David Novo and James Wood that explains this binning business and provides the equations to figure out the number of bins. I think I used to know how to do this kind of math, but I just can’t remember anymore… Cytometry Part A, Volume73A, Issue8, August 2008, Pages 685-692 (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cyto.a.20592).
      – David

Reply

Submit a Comment

Search Blog

Archives