Tax Resources

Are you an international student filing tax for the first time in the US? Are you a resident for tax purposes and don’t know where to start preparing your taxes? Unsure where you fall in terms of tax residency? UChicagoGRAD’s Administrative Services team has resources to help guide you through this process!

Nonresidents for tax purposes can use Sprintax tax software to prepare and file their federal returns. Access is provided via a code from the Office of International Affairs once 1042-S forms have been issued by the university, allowing nonresidents to file their federal taxes through Sprintax at no cost. The Office of International Affairs has also partnered with Sprintax to host a live tax webinar for nonresident filers:

Sprintax Nonresident Tax Session – University of Chicago
Monday, March 18, 12:00 p.m.

Please register here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

But what about any residents for tax purposes who cannot use Sprintax? In addition to the information session we’ve recorded for students, the IRS offers resources to help streamline the filing process. The IRS website provides comprehensive guides for students, covering topics such as education credits, deductions, and other tax benefits. And the Free File program allows eligible taxpayers to file their federal tax returns for free on a user-friendly interface. Residents for tax purposes can also utilize free prep services such as the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to assist with basic tax return preparation and guidance with the filing process. And the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA) is a tool that provides answers to a wide range of tax-related questions.

And if you have more questions, or are just unsure where to start, please email and we’ll point you in the right direction!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *