Welcome to Phoenix Sustainability Initiative
Founded in April of 2013, Phoenix Sustainability Initiative (PSI) is a Recognized Student Organization that seeks to develop and implement sustainable practices at the University and in Hyde Park. Centered upon a project group structure and partnership model, we create lasting change and impact by getting directly involved in planning, directing and executing initiatives.
Our project groups for this year:
- Campus Composting The Campus Composting project group aims to work with University of Chicago Administration to begin the process of implementing composting as a form of waste diversion and greenhouse gas reduction on campus. We also work with student-run campus cafes to help improve their sustainability practices.
- Professional Development The Professional Development Project group strives to connect students with green careers both in Chicago and beyond through treks. We also partner with RSOs on campus or local organizations if the opportunity presents itself for students to be exposed to different areas of green careers or sustainability as a whole.
- Green Data Green Data’s goal is to create community science by collecting and analyzing information related to the University of Chicago and the greater Hyde Park area . Green Data focuses on researching environmental issues that intersect with public health and public policy concerns.
- Campus Waste Reduction is a multifunctional group aimed at reducing waste through education, promotion, and collaboration with other groups on campus.
- Hyde Park Business Partners HPBP’s goal is to bring sustainability to the non-University Hyde Park community. Our members bring thoughtful analysis and innovative solutions to our partners, targeting four main categories: water conservation, energy sourcing, food procurement, and waste management. Some of our current partners include True North Cafe, Sanctuary Cafe, Medici Restaurant and others.
- Public Engagement The Public Engagement Project Group has the goal to bring awareness of PSI’s activities to a larger campus audience and spread accurate and essential information about sustainability issues relevant to UChicago. We hope to bring PSI to people on campus who may otherwise not be involved with sustainability on campus.
- Service group organizes trips and events to engage students in the local neighborhoods through community service and fundraisers.
- Environmental Education visits local schools to engage young students in topics such as food security, clean energy alternatives, natural gardening, and other environmental issues.
- Science, Art, and Sustainability demonstrates how sustainability, art, and science interconnect by using creativity to raise awareness about environmental issues.
PSI’s Service Group won $1,000 from the Bon Appétit Student Activist Grant for their Environmental Education Project.
With this grant, Service Group will expand its efforts to engage Chicago elementary students in lessons on climate change and the environment. They’re making environmental literacy accessible and fun – thank you to Bon Appétit Management Company for supporting their mission!