Linked on this blog post is a website that I began building to address a method of virtual ethnography that I want to explore in my final project. For the past few weeks, I have tried to immerse myself in the complete media environment of my research subjects: members of QAnon. As part of that work, I am equally attempting to immerse myself in their digital environment. On a separate cellphone, I have installed apps and created accounts all to act as if I were a QAnon follower, watching their YouTube videos and searching for things in the news that they are discussing. I am terming this method “algorithmic ethnography,” based on the prevalence of algorithms in determining digital experiences and some literature on the cultural powers of algorithmically-driven user experience.

In my final project, I will lay out the terms of algorithmic ethnography, looking at its potential as a form of research, and explaining how I feel it should be done. To make this multimodal, I will be using the publicly available data from my QAnon research as a case study of algorithmic ethnography. This will include YouTube videos, tiktoks, tweets, and podcast audio, as well as whatever else comes my way. I see this as a way of enacting archives, rather than simply gathering media for analysis. Inhabiting the space of QAnon in real time as the community unfolds online.

Here is the website in its current form:

https://algorithmicethnography.webflow.io/