This project came out of the desire to explore ways to use a variety of media to bring to life an interview I conducted with my mother. My mother has always been an intellectual collaborator and is someone who I have gone to throughout my schooling and life to share and talk through things I have read and ideas I am working through. I have even interviewed my mother before for an anthropology class in undergrad where I asked her about her experiences with her pregnancies, particularly in relation to seeking medical care. This interview I asked my mom to choose the topic and she chose knitting as a personal cultural artifact. In the interview and our many conversations following the interview, we have explored knitting as a lens through which to explore the interrelationalities of life and lives and what happens when we use knitting as a metaphor to think about connection, being in relation and social change. The interview ended with my mom asking me to be reflective about my relationship with knitting, so I do take some time in this presentation to reflect on knitting in my life and my life as a knitter. Logistically, this project was initially conceptualized as a WordPress, however to add the audio files I had to pay for a year subscription, so I turned to Pages to create an ePub document. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a straightforward way for people to view this ePub document if they do not have apple software. For the sake of sharing this project, I have included a powerpoint document with screenshots of the book pages and overlaid audio, video and hyperlinks. From presentation mode, the interaction is quite similar to what one would get if they were viewing the ePub with iBooks on an apple device.

Click here to find the ePub version on UChicago Box or click below to see the powerpoint version.

Knitting Together Powerpoint