Using the interview I did with my grandma, I decided to use a section of the audio that was different from what I transcribed in my last write-up. 
It is still talking about traditions-- a conversation between Korean, Uzbek/Slavic, and American customs-- but more specifically, this section talks about birthdays.
First birthdays, especially, are a Korean tradition that our family still practiced in Uzbekistan. 

N: well it's important because before, children used to die very easily. And if a child survived to its first birthday, then it was a miracle and that day needed to be celebrated. It was a big deal!

She then explained the special ceremony performed at one's first birthday. This was a chunk of audio I attempted to combine with a visual element. Fortunately, my father filmed my first birthday and had it on hand for me to use.

Although I only have 1 minute and 22 seconds to share, I kinda underestimated the labor of translating, transcribing, trimming (both of the video and audio), and then matching up subtitles to go along with it. It was fun though!

If I were to expand this to cover more audio, I'm not sure what I'd want to use as a visual background. I don't think I'd want to use the full clip of my first birthday as backdrop for the parts of the interview that aren't about me. So perhaps I can outsource footage, use photos or graphics instead, or just forgo a visual component and stick with projecting subtitles on a simple background. 

Another part of the interview I wanted to incorporate to this project was this excerpt where my grandmother compared our birthday traditions pre- and post- immigrating to America. I thought this brought up great themes of assimilation, material values, and childhood. 
Here is that transcription: 

N:  When you live away from your nationality, from your people, you lose those traditions. And you pick up the traditions of the people around you. Understand? 

Like for example, it was very funny when all of you came here [America] and celebrated the first birthday. The first birthday was uhh.. Diana’s birthday. Yes, because her birthday is on November 29th–

K: In New York?

N: Yes. And you came uhh what was it… September. In the middle of September. You celebrated her birthday and sent a video, and you showed how birthdays are celebrated in America. You already wanted to adopt American customs, to learn them.

So we started watching [the video], me especially. Your grandpa wasn’t really paying attention. But I started watching it and it was so … depressing.. and funny. Why? Because you did everything that people do here. You bought liters of soda. You bought paper plates. And what else… food and stuff. You received gifts from the guests, the other children. You did everything that’s considered normal here. On one hand, it was very interesting for us to see that. On the other hand, it was very sad. Why? Because for us, when guests are invited, all of the food is home-cooked. Only the best groceries from the bazaar. And prepared all by ourselves. Secondly, we bring out our bright white tablecloth. And on the table, we use our finest plates. None of that disposable paper business. Understand? 

K: For children’s birthdays too? Do you put all that effort in for children’s birthdays too?

N: Yes, of course. Well like rich people go out to restaurants and do all of that stuff, but those who do it at home, do the same. You invite your guests– whether that’s 10 or 20 or 50 or even 100, if you want and have the money to do that– but actually in Uzbekistan, they’ve been refraining from this. They say you shouldn’t do this, because people use all their money in order to make the celebration special. It’s been unfortunate that only rich people could sustain their wealth and throw these extravagant parties. The sentiment is that, regardless of your wealth, even if you’re poor, you want to provide the best– that’s why a guest is always an expensive person. That’s been the tradition. But here, the tradition that you saw— the one that we see today– well I’m sure rich people, in their wealthy houses, etc., celebrate it a little differently, but the common folk celebrate it like this: with disposable plates, gifts, pizza, and that’s it. Even in Vladik’s home [the wealthy family she nannied for]… pizza for the children, plain water. The last time I visited them, it was Samik’s [an endearing version of ‘Samuel’, the middle schild] birthday and they invited all his classmates, and they too rented out a place– remember you did that for one of your birthdays before– and did the same thing: pizza, cake… a little bit for everybody, water– there wasn’t even candy on the table. Anyways, they ran and jumped around and that’s it. Celebration over. Understand that our traditions are very different. But haha I guess every culture has its own way of celebrating, right? That’s how it should be. 

K: Yeah. I get how sad it must’ve been seeing your traditions that you always practiced and your parents practiced, and then to see us doing them differently.

N: Yeah it was definitely sad, but it was also very interesting. It was very interesting to see. 

____________________

Transcription of the interview section that is in the video + the bits right before the audio starts:

[ 36:22] 

N: Like how come Tanya [my aunt who lives in UZ] wants to celebrate her baby’s first birthday there [in UZ]?

K: To celebrate it with her Korean family?

N: Well yea, she’s half-Korean on her mother’s side. Her dad is of some other nationality. But anyways, she always lived with Koreans, with her mother. That’s why she wants to celebrate the birthday the Korean way. And the Korean way– well it’s important because before, children used to die very easily. And if a child survived to its first birthday, then it was a miracle and that day needed to be celebrated. It was a big deal! Both rich and poor people did this, though of course they did it differently from each other. If you were wealthy, you could invite many guests over, but if you weren’t, then you might invite only 10 people out of your family. But they tried to celebrate it similarly, decorating the table, preparing food…. But before that, they would cover the table in a special way– like they did for you. You probably don’t remember…

K: No no, I’ve seen the photographs! 

N: Yes, we would cover the table with all sorts of things: a bowl of rice, books (of course), notebooks, pens, all kinds of things. And whatever the baby chose, that would be their calling. In the future. What did you pick up? A [computer] mouse– at the time, there were already computers– and you chose a mouse and something else…

K: Money?

N: Notebook, or book, or a pen, something like that. And we said, that’s it! Kristina will be our smartest girl. 

K: haha. What did Diana choose?

N: Ah Diana… she’s also chose a book, a pen or something. 

K: That’s funny because she hates reading. 

N: Haha yeah she’s also smart. Anyways, that’s how people wanted to predict who the child would grow up to become. And… that’s why that day is so important and heavily celebrated. And Tanya wants to stay to do that.