My final project is based on my interview with my roommate Marla and centered on the question of “What are the functions of music?” Specifically, I seek to engage with the theme of a universal musicality (musicality meaning both presence and sound) through various forms of media. I want to engage with how people write about music in poetry and short stories. I want to engage with how people visually represent music. I want to engage with how films use music to enhance the plot and invoke audience emotions. And I want to analyze the fundamental aspects of music such as beat, rhythm, pitch, and timbre. As such, my final project will focus on and analyze music through the use of literature, ethnography, visual arts, creative writing, and film. Though I’m still thinking through what platform I want this project to be on, I’m currently learning towards the class blog post because it keeps everything on the same page. However, I realize that this project will be received by a wider audience so I also have to consider presentation and think about what it would feel like to read a long blog post. Additionally, I am still thinking through what genre I want this project to be. Is it best if I represent music in a story, in a poem, as a film? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each genre?

At this moment, I’m thinking about creating a short film about music and pairing it with a short story about music’s origins. Some of my concerns are creating a more precise research question; limiting music to a specific genre, time period, and/or location; and incorporating as many voices in this story as I possibly can. My personal goal of this project is to create a conversation that transcends the colonial and globalized interpretation, allowing for the recognition and appreciation of non-American music. My academic goal is to balance being informational and being critical; I have my own opinions about music and its functions, but I want to create a neutral piece that advances non-American music. Overall, I’m looking forward to this project.