For my final project, I will be looking at the uses of public spaces in China and generational relationships to these spaces. I have spent the past two summers in China and have collected a variety of related photographs and videos that will be used in my final ethnographic piece.. I intend to divide the content based on regional localities and generational perspectives. The programs I am using to present my ethnographic research will be Adobe Spark which will link to an interactive map. 

Post-graduation, I intend to return to China and hopefully pursue human rights/ development economics research. In order to best position myself to engage in this research and communicate with my interlocutors, I am in the process of developing proficiency in Chinese. For this project specifically, I have been connecting and communicating with my research participants primarily in Chinese via WeChat (many of whom I’ve met through my work with Special Olympics or through an ambassadors program I participated in last summer). I also have plans to interview Reed from our class, and I am in the process of arranging more interviews. 

I am excited to produce this multimodal piece of work and believe that my topic lends itself well to the use of a variety of multimedia mediums including video, still-photography, sound, and text. I am uncertain if I will need to pull any media from online as I hope to solely use my personal photo, sound, and video clips in assembling the presentation and conducting my participant observations. As I mentioned above, I am in the process of building out the Adobe Spark, interviewing a diverse selection of interlocutors, and translating my interviews in English. I’ve learned and developed so many amazing new research techniques in this class and I am looking forward to sharing this with everyone! I’m finishing some translations now, but I will be posting a link to a draft of my multimodal presentation very soon.

Please click to view a very rough draft of the Adobe Spark portion of my final project:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/RN34ygtcMit9x/