- Hornbeck, Richard, and Martin Rotemberg. “Railroads, Market Access, and Aggregate Productivity Growth,” May 2021. County-By-Industry Data Files, 1860-1880.
- Hornbeck, Richard, and Enrico Moretti. “Estimating Who Benefits From Productivity Growth: Local and Distant Effects of City Productivity Growth on Wages, Rents, and Inequality,” October 2021. Revised and Resubmitted, Review of Economics and Statistics.
- Hornbeck, Richard. “Dust Bowl Migrants: Environmental Refugees and Economic Adaptation,” March 2021.
Selected Work in Progress
- Hornbeck, Richard, and Daniel Keniston. “The Financial Wealth of African Americans after Slavery and its Intergenerational Impacts: Evidence from the Collapse of the Freedman’s Bank.”
- Hornbeck, Richard, Guy Michaels, and Ferdinand Rauch. “Identifying Agglomeration Shadows: Long-run Evidence from Ancient Ports.”
- Hornbeck, Richard, and Martin Rotemberg. “Digitization of the Establishment-level Census of Manufactures from 1850, 1860, 1870, and 1880.”
Published and Forthcoming Papers
- Banerjee, Abhijit, Esther Duflo, and Richard Hornbeck. 2018. “How Much do Existing Borrowers Value Microfinance? Evidence from an Experiment on Bundling Microcredit and Insurance.” Economica, 85(340): 671-700. Replication files.
- Hornbeck, Richard, and Daniel Keniston. 2017. “Creative Destruction: Barriers to Urban Growth and the Great Boston Fire of 1872.” American Economic Review 107(6): 1365-1398. Replication files.
- Chaney, Eric, and Richard Hornbeck. 2016. “Economic Dynamics in the Malthusian Era: Evidence from the 1609 Spanish Expulsion of the Moriscos.” Economic Journal 126(594): 1404-1440. Replication Files.
- Donaldson, Dave, and Richard Hornbeck. 2016. “Railroads and American Economic Growth: A “Market Access” Approach.” Quarterly Journal of Economics 131(2): 799-858. Railroad Network Data, 1830-1920. Replication Files. Appendix.
- Hornbeck, Richard, and Pinar Keskin. 2015. “Does Agriculture Generate Local Economic Spillovers? Short-run and Long-run Evidence from the Ogallala Aquifer.” American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 7(2) 192-213. Replication Files.
- Banerjee, Abhijit, Esther Duflo, and Richard Hornbeck. 2014. “Bundling Health Insurance and Microfinance in India: There Cannot be Adverse Selection if There is No Demand.” American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings 104(5): 291-297. Replication Files.
- Hornbeck, Richard, and Suresh Naidu. 2014. “When the Levee Breaks: Black Migration and Economic Development in the American South.” American Economic Review 104(3): 963-990. Replication Files.
- Hornbeck, Richard, and Pinar Keskin. 2014. “The Historically Evolving Impact of the Ogallala Aquifer: Agricultural Adaptation to Groundwater and Drought.” American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 6(1): 190-219. Replication Files.
- Hornbeck, Richard. 2012. “The Enduring Impact of the American Dust Bowl: Short- and Long-run Adjustments to Environmental Catastrophe.” American Economic Review 102(4): 1477-1507. Replication Files.
- Hornbeck, Richard. 2012. “Nature versus Nurture: The Environment’s Persistent Influence through the Modernization of American Agriculture.” American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings 102(3): 245-249. Replication Files.
- Zwane, Alix, et al. 2011. “Being surveyed can change later behavior and related parameter estimates.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108(5): 1821-1826.
- Greenstone, Michael, Richard Hornbeck, and Moretti, Enrico. 2010. “Identifying Agglomeration Spillovers: Evidence from Winners and Losers of Large Plant Openings.” Journal of Political Economy 118(3): 536-598. Non-Confidential Files.
- Hornbeck, Richard. 2010. “Barbed Wire: Property Rights and Agricultural Development.” Quarterly Journal of Economics 125(2): 767-810. Replication Files and Border Fixes.