PEOPLE

Marc G. Berman

Marc G. Berman

Principal Investigator

Marc Berman is an Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Chicago. He received his B.S.E. in Industrial and Operations Engineering (IOE) from the University of Michigan, his Ph.D. in Psychology and IOE from the University of Michigan, and received post-doctoral training at the University of Toronto’s Rotman Research Institute at Baycrest. Before arriving to Chicago he was an Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of South Carolina. Understanding the relationship between individual psychological and neural processing and environmental factors lies at the heart of his research. His lab utilizes brain imaging, behavioral experimentation, computational neuroscience and statistical models to quantify the person, the environment, and their interactions.

To view a list of Marc’s publications, please visit his Google Scholar page.

Marc G. Berman – CV (2020)

Post-Doctoral Fellows

Kim Lewis Meidenbauer

Kim Lewis Meidenbauer

Post-Doctoral Fellow

Kim received her B.A. in Psychology at the University of WI-Milwaukee in 2012 and her PhD in Integrative Neuroscience at the University of Chicago in 2020. Before beginning grad school, Kim worked in Dr. Christine Larson’s Affective Neuroscience Lab at UW-Milwaukee performing ERP studies of emotion and at the Medical CollegeRead more

Carlos Cardenas-Iniguez

Carlos Cardenas-Iniguez

Post-Doctoral Fellow

Doctoral Students

Andrew Stier

Andrew Stier

Ph.D. Student

Nak Won Rim

Nak Won Rim

P.h.D. Student

Gaby Akcelik

Gaby Akcelik

Ph.D. Student

Kathryn Schertz

Kathryn Schertz

Ph.D. Student

Lab Staff & Master RAs

Xihan Zhang

Xihan Zhang

Research Assistant

Annie Li

Annie Li

Master Research Assistant

I am a master’s student in the MAPSS program with a concentration on psychology. I received my B.S. in psychology at the University of California, San Diego. I have broad research interests concerning environmental influence on social decision making. Currently I am working with Dr. Meidenbauer on a project regarding impulsivity measured by the stop signal task.

"Selina" Tianyue Niu

"Selina" Tianyue Niu

Master Research Assistant

I am a first-year Master’s student in Computational Social Science. Right now I’m assisting in projects related to spatial data science and shared transportation. I’m interested in integrating cognitive science with computational transportation simulation to evaluate ride-sharing.

Zhuang Chu

Zhuang Chu

Master Research Assistant

I am a master student in MAPSS program. I received my B.S.in Psychology with minor in Computer Science from the Tsinghua University in China, 2017. I have long interests in cognitive neuroscience and computational methods, specifically, how we could leverage them for better well-being emotionally and cognitively. Currently I am doing my thesis in the lab, working on the fNIRS environmental neuroscience project.

Kaylah Thomas

Kaylah Thomas

Master Research Assistant

I am currently a first-year student in the Master’s in Computational Social Science Program. My research interests include studying the social and environmental effects on cognition in key populations such as minority communities.

Jonathan Ceru

Jonathan Ceru

Master Research Assistant

I am a graduate student in the MAPSS program. I hold a B.A. in Cognitive Science from Northwestern University. My research interests concern how socioenvironmental experience may influence and shape cognition and neurological function across the lifespan, particularly in adolescence.

Undergraduate RAs

Olivia Paraschos

Olivia Paraschos

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a third year undergraduate student at the University of Chicago majoring in Neuroscience. My research interests focus on examining the relationship between environmental factors and cognitive performance as well as the broader intersection of neuroscience and behavior. 

Natalia Antonides-Jensen

Natalia Antonides-Jensen

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a first-year student at the University of Chicago majoring in psychology. I am interested in the ways environmental factors affect cognitive development across different social groups. In the future, I plan to pursue a career incorporating both public policy and psychology.

Isaaq Khader

Isaaq Khader

Undergrad Research Assistant

Isaaq is an energetic rising third-year majoring in Psychology & Computer Science with a specialization in Machine Learning. He hopes to combine the concepts of Psychology with Computer Science to improve technology through Artificial Intelligence. As a Chicago native who grew up in Logan Square, he is excited to explore more about the relationships between socioeconomic status and a neighborhood’s environment. 

Noor Admin

Noor Admin

Undergrad Research Assistant

Noor is a first-year student at the College studying neuroscience and game design. Her interests include bidirectionality between humans and their external environment, and she is currently working on a project involving changes to participants’ cognitive abilities in response to different virtual environments.

Maya Ordonez

Maya Ordonez

Undergrad Research Assistant

Maya is a second year in the college studying Neuroscience and English. She is interested in studying how urbanization and socialization affect the lived situation of the individual and is currently involved in the Depression in Neighborhoods project with Andrew Stier and Kaylah Thomas.

Hayley Stiscak

Hayley Stiscak

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a rising third-year undergraduate at the University of Chicago. I am majoring in Psychology with a minor in Neuroscience. I’m interested in how the external environment can influence human behavior and emotion. I am excited to be working on the neighborhood greenspace mapping project in Chicago.

Uday Saharia

Uday Saharia

Undergrad Research Assistant

I’m a sophomore studying Computer Science at the University of Chicago. I’m currently involved with research related to the analysis of datasets of fMRI scans and related stress levels in human beings.

Angelysse Madsen

Angelysse Madsen

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a rising second year in the college studying economics, psychology, and neuroscience. I am really interested in how people make decisions and all of the factors that impact this, from their environment to their socioeconomic status.