PEOPLE

Marc G. Berman

Marc G. Berman

Principal Investigator

Marc Berman is an Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Chicago. He received his B.S.E. in Industrial and Operations Engineering (IOE) from the University of Michigan, his Ph.D. in Psychology and IOE from the University of Michigan, and received post-doctoral training at the University of Toronto’s Rotman Research Institute at Baycrest. Before arriving to Chicago he was an Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of South Carolina. Understanding the relationship between individual psychological and neural processing and environmental factors lies at the heart of his research. His lab utilizes brain imaging, behavioral experimentation, computational neuroscience and statistical models to quantify the person, the environment, and their interactions.

To view a list of Marc’s publications, please visit his Google Scholar page.

Marc G. Berman – CV (2020)

Post-Doctoral Fellows

Kyoung Whan Choe

Kyoung Whan Choe

Post-Doctoral Fellow

Kim Lewis Meidenbauer

Kim Lewis Meidenbauer

Post-Doctoral Fellow

Currently, Kim is a joint Post-Doc and Social Sciences Teaching Fellow. Her current projects include employing functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (fNIRS) to measure brain activity in naturalistic settings and elaboratinghow heat stress influences cognitive proceRead more

Omid Kardan

Omid Kardan

Post-Doctoral Fellow

Omid is a post-doctoral scholar in the Cognition Attention and Brain Lab and the Environmental Neuroscience Lab interested in cognitive and environmental neuroscience. His specific topic of research is the relationship Read more

Carlos Cardenas-Iniguez

Carlos Cardenas-Iniguez

Post-Doctoral Fellow

Doctoral Students

Andrew Stier

Andrew Stier

Ph.D. Student

Gaby Akcelik

Gaby Akcelik

Ph.D. Student

Kathryn Schertz

Kathryn Schertz

Ph.D. Student

Lab Staff & Master RAs

Xihan Zhang

Xihan Zhang

Lab Manager/Research Assistant

Weijie Xiao

Weijie Xiao

Master Research Assistant

Wei is currently a graduate student in MAPSS. Their main research interests include attention restoration and the impact of nature environments on mental health. Their master’s thesis uses eye tracking and functional MRI to explore the relationship between attention shifting and working memory performance under the mediating effect of environmental scenery.
Annie Li

Annie Li

Master Research Assistant

I am a master’s student in the MAPSS program with a concentration on psychology. I received my B.S. in psychology at the University of California, San Diego. I have broad research interests concerning environmental influence on social decision making. Currently I am working with Dr. Meidenbauer on a project regarding impulsivity measured by the stop signal task.

"Selina" Tianyue Niu

"Selina" Tianyue Niu

Master Research Assistant

I am a first-year Master’s student in Computational Social Science. Right now I’m assisting in projects related to spatial data science and shared transportation. I’m interested in integrating cognitive science with computational transportation simulation to evaluate ride-sharing.

Zhuang Chu

Zhuang Chu

Master Research Assistant

I am a master student in MAPSS program. I received my B.S.in Psychology with minor in Computer Science from the Tsinghua University in China, 2017. I have long interests in cognitive neuroscience and computational methods,specifically, how we could leverage them for better well-being emotionally and cognitively.Currently I am doing my thesis in the lab, working on the fNIRS environmental neuroscience project.

Nak Won Rim

Nak Won Rim

Master Research Assistant

Tianxin Zheng

Tianxin Zheng

Master Research Assistant

Tianxin is a Master student in the Computational Social Science Program and she’s currently working on the street psychology project in the lab. She’s interested in measuring people’s perceptions of the built environment using computational methods.

Undergraduate RAs

Tanvi Lakhtakia

Tanvi Lakhtakia

Undergrad Research Assistant

Tanvi Lakhtakia is a fourth-year undergraduate student in psychology and neuroscience. She is doing an Honors Thesis investigating how visual attention is affected by exposure to natural environments. After graduating in 2020, she plans to pursue a doctorate in clinical psychology and hopes to engage in both clinical practice and research.

Jillian Bowman

Jillian Bowman

Undergrad Research Assistant

Jillian is a 4th year in the College studying Psychology. She has worked in the ENL since July of 2018. Her research interests include the effects of the environment on affect and impulsivity, and the way that certain traits influence one’s reaction to the environment. After graduation she plans to attend medical school and study public health. 

Olivia Paraschos

Olivia Paraschos

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a third year undergraduate student at the University of Chicago majoring in Neuroscience. My research interests focus on examining the relationship between environmental factors and cognitive performance as well as the broader intersection of neuroscience and behavior. 

Noor Admin

Noor Admin

Undergrad Research Assistant

Noor is a first-year student at the College studying neuroscience and game design. Her interests include bidirectionality between humans and their external environment, and she is currently working on a project involving changes to participants’ cognitive abilities in response to different virtual environments.

Uday Saharia

Uday Saharia

Undergrad Research Assistant

I’m a sophomore studying Computer Science at the University of Chicago. I’m currently involved with research related to the analysis of datasets of fMRI scans and related stress levels in human beings.

Lab Alumni

“Jenny” Ni Zhen

Anabella Pinton

Elliot Layden

Muxuan Lyu

Can Liu

Jaime Young

Lisa Sprute

Will Woods

Lillian Li

Daniel Hayes

Patrick Williams

Nicole Timur

Francisco Meyer

Steven Porter

Frank Ibarra

Ishaan Guptasarma

Hank Grier

Mike Sepke

Ivo Gyurovski

Hiroki P. Kotabe

Cecilia Stenfors

Lena Woo

Stephen van Hedger

Jason Steinberg