PEOPLE

Marc G. Berman

Marc G. Berman

Principal Investigator

Marc Berman is an Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Chicago. He received his B.S.E. in Industrial and Operations Engineering (IOE) from the University of Michigan, his Ph.D. in Psychology and IOE from the University of Michigan, and received post-doctoral training at the University of Toronto’s Rotman Research Institute at Baycrest. Before arriving to Chicago he was an Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of South Carolina. Understanding the relationship between individual psychological and neural processing and environmental factors lies at the heart of his research. His lab utilizes brain imaging, behavioral experimentation, computational neuroscience and statistical models to quantify the person, the environment, and their interactions.

To view a list of Marc’s publications, please visit his Google Scholar page.

Marc G. Berman – CV (2020)

Post-Doctoral Fellows

Kim Lewis Meidenbauer

Kim Lewis Meidenbauer

Post-Doctoral Fellow

Kim received her B.A. in Psychology at the University of WI-Milwaukee in 2012 and her PhD in Integrative Neuroscience at the University of Chicago in 2020. Before beginning grad school, Kim worked in Dr. Christine Larson’s Affective Neuroscience Lab at UW-Milwaukee performing ERP studies of emotion and at the Medical CollegeRead more

Amanda Seccia

Amanda Seccia

Post-Doctoral Fellow

Doctoral Students

Andrew Stier

Andrew Stier

Ph.D. Student

Nak Won Rim

Nak Won Rim

P.h.D. Student

Gaby Akcelik

Gaby Akcelik

Ph.D. Student

Catherine Stevenson

Catherine Stevenson

Ph.D. Student

Kathryn Schertz

Kathryn Schertz

Ph.D. Student

Staff

Elizabeth Janey

Elizabeth Janey

Lab Manager & Research Assistant

Xihan Zhang

Xihan Zhang

Research Assistant

Kelton McConnell

Kelton McConnell

Research Assistant

Kelton received B.S. degrees in Biology, Genetics & Psychology from the University of Georgia in 2021 where he researched the effects of lipopolysaccharide on ethanol consumption and social avoidance in mice. His current research interests center on the relationships between the physical and social environment, cognition, and mental health. He also has interests in the potential research applications of environmental neuroscience towards public policy and health.

Masters Students

Annie Li

Annie Li

Master Research Assistant

I am a master’s student in the MAPSS program with a concentration on psychology. I received my B.S. in psychology at the University of California, San Diego. I have broad research interests concerning environmental influence on social decision making. Currently I am working with Dr. Meidenbauer on a project regarding impulsivity measured by the stop signal task.

Jonathan Ceru

Jonathan Ceru

Master Research Assistant

I am a graduate student in the MAPSS program. I hold a B.A. in Cognitive Science from Northwestern University. My research interests concern how socioenvironmental experience may influence and shape cognition and neurological function across the lifespan, particularly in adolescence.

Zhuang Chu

Zhuang Chu

Master Research Assistant

I am a master student in MAPSS program. I received my B.S.in Psychology with minor in Computer Science from the Tsinghua University in China, 2017. I have long interests in cognitive neuroscience and computational methods, specifically, how we could leverage them for better well-being emotionally and cognitively. Currently I am doing my thesis in the lab, working on the fNIRS environmental neuroscience project.

Senling Shu

Senling Shu

Master Research Assistant

I am a second-year graduate student in the MACSS program. I received my B.S. in Psychology and Cognitive Science from the University of California, San Diego. My research interests focus on how green space (e.g. parks) access and exposure impact overall well-being and vary by socioeconomic status/race.

Kaylah Thomas

Kaylah Thomas

Master Research Assistant

I am currently a first-year student in the Master’s in Computational Social Science Program. My research interests include studying the social and environmental effects on cognition in key populations such as minority communities.

Yutai Li

Yutai Li

Master Research Assistant

I am an incoming graduate student in the MACSS program. I received my B.A. in psychology and completed minor in management and business from Skidmore in 2021. My research interests center on cognitive psychology and visual perception, specifically I’m interested in image recognition neural network and human visual perception of pixelized images.

Undergraduate Research Assistants

Natalia Antonides-Jensen

Natalia Antonides-Jensen

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a first-year student at the University of Chicago majoring in psychology. I am interested in the ways environmental factors affect cognitive development across different social groups. In the future, I plan to pursue a career incorporating both public policy and psychology.

Isaaq Khader

Isaaq Khader

Undergrad Research Assistant

Isaaq is an energetic rising third-year majoring in Psychology & Computer Science with a specialization in Machine Learning. He hopes to combine the concepts of Psychology with Computer Science to improve technology through Artificial Intelligence. As a Chicago native who grew up in Logan Square, he is excited to explore more about the relationships between socioeconomic status and a neighborhood’s environment. 

Maya Ordonez

Maya Ordonez

Undergrad Research Assistant

Maya is a second year in the college studying Neuroscience and English. She is interested in studying how urbanization and socialization affect the lived situation of the individual and is currently involved in the Depression in Neighborhoods project with Andrew Stier and Kaylah Thomas.

Hayley Stiscak

Hayley Stiscak

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a rising third-year undergraduate at the University of Chicago. I am majoring in Psychology with a minor in Neuroscience. I’m interested in how the external environment can influence human behavior and emotion. I am excited to be working on the neighborhood greenspace mapping project in Chicago.

Gray Fischer

Gray Fischer

Undergrad Research Assistant

I’m an undergraduate neuroscience student at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Through UP on EHS, a biomedical research fellowship focused on environmental health and justice, I’ve been able to have a hand in ENL’s research. I am thrilled to be aiding ENL in mapping Chicago’s greenspaces and investigating how environmental characteristics, such as air pollution, affect human behavior in an urban setting.

Angelysse Madsen

Angelysse Madsen

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a rising second year in the college studying economics, psychology, and neuroscience. I am really interested in how people make decisions and all of the factors that impact this, from their environment to their socioeconomic status.

Danila Babushkin

Danila Babushkin

Undergrad Research Assistant

I am a fourth year undergraduate, double-majoring in Psychology and Economics while pursuing the pre-med track. My hobbies include hiking, athletics, bartending, and debate; during the school year I am always trying to stay active and I participate in both UCEMS and the Chicago Debate Society. I love discussing almost any issue that comes to mind, and I’m always ready to try something new!