Author: Huanrui Chen

Program of Study: Master of Computational Social Science, Division of the Social Sciences (SSD)

A Divvy Bike Station on the University of Chicago campus. (Photo taken by author)

Description: Are you curious about how to get around Chicago easily and green? This blog will feature a local Chicago bike sharing company called Divvy Bike and discuss how it is helping to develop a more sustainable and flexible mode of transport in Chicago.

Listen here:

Transcript (provided by author):

Welcome to the ELI’s, finding Chicago global perspectives podcast series for AEPP 2023. I’m your host Huanrui from the university of Chicago’s social science division.

Do you happen to be a bicycle enthusiast? I am. In my hometown, cycling is my favorite mode of transportation. This way of traveling not only reduces the expense of fuel and energy pollution, but it’s also incredibly convenient, fast, and fun.

But before coming to Chicago, I was prepared to give up this method of commuting. I was concerned that buying and maintaining a bicycle in the United States might not be cheap. However, that worry was alleviated. When I stepped out of my apartment and find a bicycle station, as I realized, I could easily rent bikes all around the city of Chicago without having to purchase one myself.

These bike rental stations are provided by a company called Divvy bike. And users simply need to scan a code at Divvy bike station to rent one of the shared bikes and begin the journey.

My first ride with Divvy bike was fantastic. I rode the bike and reached the school without a hitch. However, my experience with Divvy bike has not always been smooth selling during my second attempt, even though I had paid and my phone indicated that the bike had been unlocked, the station failed to unlock the bike for me correctly.

This mishap, first me to run across the campus, nearly making me late for an orientation day. Afterwards, I spent quite some time in mailing Divvy bike to ask for a refund for the mist taken charge through this process. Again, a deeper understanding of how the Divvy bike walks, its role in Chicago’s transportation system and its relationship with the city as a whole. During my time in Chicago, I have noticed how Divvy bike stand out. Divvy bikes offer robust solutions for anyone looking to travel in a convenient and swift manner. These blue bikes, which I have personally written a few times, are attachment to the city score of green travel from my own explorations with over 600 stations scattered across Chicago and the city of Evanston.

Divvy bikes stands as one of the largest bike sharing system in North America. Every time I use Divvy bike, it only cost me $1 to unlock the bike and embark on my cycling journey. The round the clock service ensures that weather is an early morning commute, or a midnight tour Divvy is always an option for me.

In my explorations around the city of Chicago, I have often come to appreciate the strong backbone supporting Divvy bikes, the Chicago Department of Transportation. From what I have seen and understood, their vision is clear and unwavering, a greener, more connected Chicago. I found that by rolling out service like Divvy they are not just offering a transport service. They are setting a new standard. We’re imagining how we move around the city and hinting at a future where bikes might become more important in our daily lives.

Additionally, I noticed that Divvy bike sharing program backed by Lyft, a leader in today’s transportation solutions. This partnership, I think, does not just show strong support from the city, but also benefits from Top industry. During my wanderings, through Chicago, a city celebrated for its architectural wonders and lively culture. I have personally felt that the weight of issues that Challenge many urban cities, traffic jams, every day, as I navigated Chicago’s minerals, I find myself trapped in a sea of vehicles, extending travel durations, and testing the patience of many around me.

But what struck me most beyond the immediate delay was the deeper concern. I think, many overlook the impact on our environment in my readings and observations of global cities. The urban hubs are wrestling with the fallout trade of car emergency, a primary factor, worsening our air and accelerating climate change.

In my view, Divvy bikes, a Chicago’s response to a dual Challenge as an environmental friendly mode of transportation. These bikes alleviate the pressure on the city’s congested roads. Fewer cars means reduced emissions and a quicker commute. Moreover, on a global scale, adopting green miles of travel like Divvy bikes can pave the way for other cities proving that urban living and sustainability are not mutually exclusive.

Divvy bikes not only stands as a testament to Chicago’s innovative spirit, but also serves as a beacon for cities worldwide, signaling a shift towards a cleaner, greener, and more efficient urban future.

Chicago and the Divvy bikes share a symbiotic relationship as Divvy bikes with through the city streets and Alleys. They are more than just a mode of transportation. They represent Chicago’s commitment to offering diverse transit options, promoting sustainability and ensuring the well being of its residence.

Before we end our podcast, a word to the wise to all our listeners, try Divvy bikes for a unique way to explore the splendor of Chicago. It’s not just about getting from point A to point B. It’s about the journey, the story, and being part of a larger vision.

Thank you for turning into our show today. Stay curious, explored and remember, every journey has a story. See you next time.