Author: Keyuan Ren

Program of Study: Ph.D. in Chemistry, Physical Sciences Division

Cycling Group on the Trail

Description:

I share my experience cycling along Lake Michigan’s lakefront trail. From the beautiful scenery to the friendly cyclists who helped me with my bike, I reflect on how the trail offers more than just a ride – it’s a space for community and self-discovery.

Listen here:

Transcript (provided by author):

Welcome to the ELI’s Finding Chicago Global Perspectives Podcast Series for AEPP 2024. I’m your host, Keyuan, and I’m currently enrolled in the University of Chicago’s Chemistry Department.

Today, I want to share my experience cycling along the lakefront trail of Lake Michigan. The idea came to me the moment I arrived in Chicago this summer. On my first Lyft ride from O’Hare Airport to Hyde Park, I noticed so many cyclists along the lake, and it sparked my curiosity. I wondered what draws people to this trail and what the experience might be like. So, I quickly got myself a bike and decided to explore it.

I started my ride at 56th Street and headed north towards the South Loop. As soon as I got onto the trail, I noticed a sign that read “Lakefront Forest.” Initially, I imagined the trail would run right along the river, but the lush trees on both sides made it clear why it’s called the “forest” trail. During my ride, I tried to really take in everything—the nature, the people. The weather was great, and the air was refreshing. Since it was cooler that day, I didn’t see anyone swimming or having picnics on the beach like in the summer. Some people were walking their dogs, others are jogging. What’s more, I found the trail is not exclusive to cyclists; I also saw people on all kinds of wheels – tandem bicycles, single-wheeled balance scooters, shared Blue Bikes, and even rollerblades.

I was feeling great, surrounded by beautiful scenery and people enjoying their day. But suddenly, my bike started giving me trouble. Well, my bike was new, bought off Amazon, and I assembled it myself, but I was still pretty new to mountain bikes. I ran into some issues with the gears. When I tried to shift gears going uphill, nothing happened. So, I started to worry – was the bike broken? Would I need to find a shop? How could I keep going uphill without gear changes?

As I pulled over to check the chain, a couple on a tandem bike stopped and asked if I needed help. I explained what’s going on, and they were so friendly and eager to help. They showed me how to shift gears properly and answered all my questions about the handlebars and the wheels. They even took out some tools and tightened my handlebars and seat. After we parted ways, I felt so good – not only because my bike was fine and I’d learned something new, but because I was touched by how helpful and kind they were. It made me realize how welcoming the cycling community in Chicago is. Even strangers are willing to pass on their knowledge and lend a hand.

One of our instructors mentioned during the orientation how friendly and open Chicagoans are, always willing to share a tip or a story. I wonder if this generosity is nurtured by the lake – by the experience of being part of something larger, where space and scenery are communal.

Well, first of all, I want to share some idea about the lake – cycling along this trail gave me a completely different perspective on the lake. I had previously walked along the shore and visited the beach, which felt more like other city parks or ocean shores. But biking was different. The strong lake wind, the warmth of the sun, and the rhythm of pedaling immersed me in a sensory experience that was invigorating. It’s good for both the body and the mind. I realized that the lake offers more than just scenic beauty; it’s an important space for the people of Chicago.

Beyond the historical significance and practical benefits like transportation and drinking water, the lake fosters a unique sense of community. It’s a place where people meet friends, meet the nature, and meet themselves. Whether you’re part of a rollerblading group or just out for a solitary ride, the trail’s open vistas offer something that indoor spaces simply can’t match.

I also think that sharing this space influences people’s attitudes. Compared to nature, we’re so small. It’s only by helping each other that we can fully enjoy it, rather than being overwhelmed by nature’s power.

That wraps up my story and reflections on cycling along Lake Michigan. If you have a bike, I highly recommend taking it out on the trail. You might discover, as I did, that it’s not just a path along the lake – it’s a path into the heart of the city.