Welcome back to Chicago, and to the third year of the Practical Philosophy Workshop!
Our schedule for the fall is below. A couple of comments:
1) As stated on the time schedules, the workshop will usually meet on even weeks this year. However, since it is occasionally necessary to reschedule meetings, and since some of our invited speakers have very busy schedules, some meetings may take place in odd weeks. In order to receive up-to-date information on our meetings, you are strongly advised to sign up for our mailing list by entering your email address here . All meetings will run from 10.30am – 12.20pm on Friday.
2) Unless otherwise advertised, all of our meetings will be in Wieboldt 408. (Please note that this is a different room from last year).
3) The workshop is open to all students and faculty, and you do not need to be registered to attend. Since part of the aim of a workshop is to build up a “community of like-minded scholars”, we strongly encourage participants to attend as many sessions as possible, but this is not mandatory – you are welcome to attend whichever sessions interest you.
4) In general, the paper will be pre-circulated via our email list, and the presenter will give a 10-15 minute summary of the main points to open the discussion. This means that in order to get the most out of the workshop, it is advisable to read the paper in advance if possible. (The main exception to this format will be meetings in which a graduate student is giving a practice job talk, in which case the presentation will be longer).
5) In order to facilitate an atmosphere of constructive, critical, and friendly discussion, we will once again be serving free coffee and donuts before the start of every meeting.
6) If you have any questions about the workshop, feel free to email me at this address. We have some very exciting presentations from invited speakers and graduate students this fall, and we look forward to seeing you at our first meeting on October 7th!