By The University of Chicago Department of Pathology
Auto Text: “Insert Breast Reduction”
- Measure in three dimensions, noting anterior-posterior, superior-inferior, medial-lateral, if the specimen is oriented.
- Measure skin ellipse.
- Prospective formalin fixation is not required. Please gross these cases the day of receipt.
- Serially section, noting any lesions. Submit lesions in the usual manner and describe their relation to the tissue and each other.
- Normally, there will be no lesions. A representative sections of fibrous breast parenchyma (1 cassette) and skin (1 cassette) is sufficient
- If the patient has a history of breast cancer, or BRCA mutation, take 4 additional sections of fibrous breast parenchyma.
- For ALL breast cases, dictate the following: Tissue fixed for at least 6 hours in 10% NBF and no more than 72 hours. (Auto Text: “Insert Breast Fixation”)