By The University of Chicago Department of Pathology
Auto text: “Insert Kidney Biopsy”
Kidney Biopsy for Tumor (GU service)
- Usually arrives already in formalin.
- Ensure that the part type is kidney biopsy for tumor.
- Count pieces and submit entirely in mesh bag, staining with eosin.
Kidney Biopsy for Medical Disease (Renal service)
Native Kidney and Post-Transplant Kidney (In-house and outside)
- There will be 2 or 3 containers: 1 formalin, 1 Michel’s or Zeus fixative, and/or 1 glutaraldehyde.
- Filter the core(s) in formalin into mesh bag(s) and submit all.
- Place the Zeus or Michel’s (IF) and glutaraldehyde tissues (EM) in the refrigerator (2-8 degrees) for pick up by histology.
In-House Donor Kidney for Transplant
- Place core or wedge biopsies in formalin for light microscopy.