Auto text: “Insert Legal Bullet” or “Insert Gross Only”
These specimens can be grossed the same day they are received. Please wait until after other work is done before working on gross-only specimens.
- Some gross-only specimens require photographs; others do not. If a photo is taken, please dictate in the gross description.
- Objects that REQUIRE a gross photo:
- Breast implants (not expanders)
- Legal cases
- Cardiac hardware, i.e. AICDs, pacemakers, and leads (returned to manufacturer; make sure both sides including all serial numbers are photographed)
- ANY object to be returned to physician or patient
- Objects that DO NOT require a gross photo:
- Chemotherapy or Dialysis ports (such as port-a-cath or PD catheters.
- Orthopedic hardware (arthroplasty revisions)
- Routine foreign objects (pennies, peas, plastic pieces, etc)
- UNLESS the object is to be returned to physician or patient! Then it must be photographed.
- Do not put formalin on any cardiac related hardware. See a PA or AP Tech if you have questions.
- Measure and describe the pieces, being sure to dictate any alphanumeric markings present on the objects.
- In the event that significant amounts of soft tissue are present, consider submitting for histologic examination.
- If there are no additional parts for which histology is submitted, please remember to enter the Final Diagnosis into CoPath and send the case to the Attending’s worklist: