By The University of Chicago Department of Pathology
Auto text: “Insert Omentum”
- The majority of these specimens will be part of a cancer-staging surgery.
- These specimens can be grossed fresh. If the remainder of the case needs to be fixed, then weigh omentum and submerge in formalin.
- Weigh and measure.
- Describe surface texture, color, and consistency.
- Serially section the specimen.
- Look for white, gray, tan nodules – these are most likely tumor metastases.
- Submit one representative section of tumor or representative sections of unremarkable omentum in ONE cassette.